Old 29-04-2005, 12:40 PM
Rockford

Default squirrel or rat in attic?

My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I
cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a
mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could
you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website:
www.gordonrichard.com/rodent

Richard Gordon

Old 29-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Dawn

Rockford wrote:

My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I
cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a
mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could
you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website:
www.gordonrichard.com/rodent

Looks like a young grey squirrel. Their tails don't fluff when they're
dead.

Dawn
Old 01-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Maryland zone 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockford
My friend Eddie trapped a four inch rodent in his attic. He and I cannot recognize what kind of rodent it is. I thought at first it was a mouse or a rat, but its feather-like tail makes me doubt this. Could you identify it? I took photos of it and posted them on this website:
www.gordonrichard.com/rodent

Richard Gordon

Hi Richard,

I agree that without knowing where you are located it would be difficult to say what species of squirrel starved to death in your friend's Havahart trap. You might want to inform your friend that the trap is designed to live trap and release the 'pest', not let it starve to death because he went on a trip.

Now that I've ranted, I'd like to warn your friend to have every inch of electrical wires inspected in the attic. Friends of ours didn't do this and it took two years for the chewed wires to overheat and burn the house half down.

Newt
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Bear Drummer

I am not an expert, but did anyone in the neibhorhood lose a pet
gerbil? It looks extremely similar to a gerbil to me...

Tony