Old 29-04-2008, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Default Noisy squirrel in my attic. How do I get it out?

Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene
Old 29-04-2008, 05:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 9:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

If you can throw some mothballs around up there he will soon vacate
and you wont be bothered.
Old 29-04-2008, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Mothballs are a bust. I had one in my attic and he used the mothballs
for a pillow. Sprayed pepper spray in hole during day sealed access
hole with plastic and next morning he was back. Had to set large wire
animal trap every day for about two weeks with peanut butter. Tried
smaller wire trap and he kept getting bait. He got the bait out of the
large trap several times until I fine tuned the trigger and lubricated
it with WD-40.
Was going to shoot him in the face after I caught him but he stood up
on his hind legs held onto the cage like a convict and begged for his
life with quiet little woof sounds. Figured if he was that much of a
man I would relocate him. Closed up hole with temporary patch in case
he wasn't alone but have not had any new squatters. I have several of
the sonic wing dings but they are not effective.
Old 29-04-2008, 07:19 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:48:12 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Rig up a hi-fi and play some Rick Astley music. No-one, and no-thing,
will stick around for that... (-:

JD

Old 29-04-2008, 08:45 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 2:47�pm, Neon John wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:48:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

A couple of years ago I turned my mountain vacation cabin into my home. �The
attic was infested with squirrels. �Several bait boxes of D-con inside the
attic and a nice pellet gun outside took care of the problem in a few weeks. �

I highly recommend both parts of the solution. �Squirrels will eat D-con about
as well as rats do. �And even the most dedicated house-squatters have to come
out to ferriage. �That's where the pellet gun comes in. �There's a nice one
available, complete with scope, at Wallyworld for under $100.

John
--
John De Armond
See my website for my current email addresshttp://www.neon-john.comhttp://www.johndearmond.com-- best little blog on the net!

geez most of you must get you jollies by killing life for no
reason.........

trap and relocate, seal up holes.

its really your own fault for having a insecure building.

d con might leave home stinking for months, if animal dies in wall.

and why is the OP report he sealed off the attic entrance with
concrete and wood?

its a good idea to check places like attics yearly, for roof leaks and
other hazards
Old 29-04-2008, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 11:48*am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

*Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

You could try getting him a one way ticket to Argentina.
Old 30-04-2008, 01:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

On Apr 29, 10:48*am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

*Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

Gene

Use a wire trap and don't relocate the pest. They are clever and
determined so seal up the attic really well.
Old 30-04-2008, 04:04 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

NapalmHeart wrote:

Beware. You mustn't shoot squirrels out of season or without a
license.

It all depends on the laws of your state. In my state (MI) you don't
need a license to hunt small game on your own land. Further, if an
animal is a pest it can be dealt with.

Hmm. Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a
destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do it for
alligators in Florida.*

So, call your state game and fish commission and demand they relocate the
pesky squirrel(s).

That's what your tax money if for (tell them)!

-------
*Though not Louisiana. I recall an interview with the governor of Louisiana
when a reporter suggested that animal preservation activists were opposed to
an open hunting season on alligators.

"Well, son, they don't know nothin' 'bout gators! We's lip-deep in gators
down here! They's lined up on the side of the interstate just a-waitin' for
somebody to have a flat! You gimme the names of some of them folks up in
Massachusetts or wherever and I'll SEND 'em some 'gators. We's got lots!"

Old 30-04-2008, 04:11 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

Makes sense that the state would have facilities for relocating a
destructive deer or moose or even a mountain lion. They certainly do it for alligators in Florida.

offending alligators in florida are all taken away and killed. theres
no where left to relocate them too.........

Old 30-04-2008, 05:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,alt.survival,misc.rural

wrote in message
On Apr 29, 10:48 am, wrote:
Hi folks,

I have an unwanted visitor in my old house. The door of attic is
sealed off with concrete and wood, I can't get in unless I drill it
open.

Inside is no light just the wooden roof frame and some old wood lying
around.

Now something is running around. We have lots of squirrels here. And
it sounds like one. Running fast and suddenly stopping. It wakes me up
in the morning when I would like to sleep.

What should I do? Did you ever had a squirrel in your attic? How did
you get rid of it?

There are these battery operated rodent repellents. They make a
certain high pitched noise and the rodent allegedly runs off. Does
this work also with squirrels?

Thanks in advance. You advice is highly appreciated.

You need to find where he is getting in. Maybe a roof vent .Or rafter
vent . Depending on your construction. Then hang a one way door .Or box
he can only get out of. Like a hinged piece of wood on one end . You
may be able to use nets . Like you do with bats. Once they are all out.
Seal up the hole. Or put new screen on it. If it was me I'd knock the
door blocker down . And have a look around anyways. Shoot them with a
pellet gun maybe.