Old 03-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Dustin Holmes

Default Yellow leaves on water plants

I have a small water garden, maybe a foot and a half by a foot and a
half, with a few plants, a fish and a snail. The leaves on the the
plants are turning yellow and dying. I don't know why. My books suggest
nitrogen deficiency but they aren't specifically about water plants. If
I fertilize with a nitrogen fertilizer, will my fish and snail still be
ok? Anyone else experience this?

thanks,
annie

Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Bourne Identity

Go to a pond store, they are everywhere and buy pellets especially
made for pond plants. You can buy them at Lowes or Home Depot, as
well. However, your one fish is pretty miserable in that tiny amount
of water. Rather cruel, in my opinion to have this condition for a
poor fish.

Old 04-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Hal

wrote:

I have a small water garden, maybe a foot and a half by a foot and a
half, with a few plants, a fish and a snail. The leaves on the the
plants are turning yellow and dying. I don't know why. My books suggest
nitrogen deficiency but they aren't specifically about water plants. If
I fertilize with a nitrogen fertilizer, will my fish and snail still be
ok? Anyone else experience this?

The smaller the pond the more difficult it is to keep one stable. I
have the same problem with water plants, but their purpose is to
remove fish waste products. If you don't have enough fish to
fertilize the plants you can use water soluble fertilizer, plant
stakes, like tomato stakes, the kind for small pots. I wouldn't use
the tree stakes the are sometimes made with ammonium sources.
Ammonia is not good so read the label of the fertilizer and get a
nitrogen source other than ammonium nitrate. I would use small
amounts of a good flowering soluble fertilizer like 1-2-1 (type, like
6-12-6) for floating flowering plants. If your plants don't flower a
1-1-1 type fertilizer is a general fertilizer and works well in water
plants too. You may experience an algae bloom from using too much
fertilizer, so I would start small and check every 3 days for
improvement in color.

Or you can go to a pond place and pay more for pond fertilizer.

Regards,

Hal
Old 04-07-2005, 04:32 PM

Feed you plants, take ordianary 10-10-10 or 5-10-5 and wrap a few
teaspoons in a coffee filter or two and bury it among the roots.
Your fish should be fine but could live in a bucket for a few days if
you were concerned.
You could buy pond food but for your pond a small container would last
you a long time. High water temps will also yellow the leaves.