Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Ben

Default Petunia seed collection

I know they're tiny. I buy pelleted seed each spring. How do you
collect seeds that small?

Old 03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Cereus-validus.....

Very carefully.

oups.com...

Old 04-07-2005, 01:00 AM
BetsyB

"Ben" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know they're tiny. I buy pelleted seed each spring. How do you
collect seeds that small?

One white envelope under the pod works for me. I label and tack on the
inside of my broom closet door till I am ready to plant. A salt shaker with
half the holes blocked works well for sowing.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On 3 Jul 2005 10:53:50 -0700, Ben wrote:
I know they're tiny. I buy pelleted seed each spring. How do you
collect seeds that small?

Collect individual fruits, or cut off the entire top and lay it out
on newspaper to dry. Crunch and screen. I prefer to work with individual
fruits... less detritus. Sometimes it's easier just to crunch and then
pick the detritus out of the seeds with fine tipped forceps, under
magnification.

http://tomclothier.hort.net/page28.html

Old 16-08-2005, 03:09 AM
zxcvbob

Ben wrote:
I know they're tiny. I buy pelleted seed each spring. How do you
collect seeds that small?

Pick the petunia fruits when they just crack open before they spill many
of the seeds. Crunch them up with your fingers as you put them in an
old 35mm film container or small glassine envelope.

You can also pick them when they turn yellow before the crack open, and
allow them to dry before crunching them.

Best regards,
Bob

[IMG] code is On

Starting Petunia Ernie Willson Gardening 3 18-04-2009 01:52 PM
Seed collection Faye Tarzwell Gardening 3 18-08-2003 01:22 AM
Another petunia question mypet Gardening 0 01-06-2003 09:32 PM
petunia seeds Andrea Iles Australia 0 01-04-2003 04:08 AM
Runner Beans - Seed Collection Alan Holmes United Kingdom 0 29-09-2002 08:00 PM