Old 17-04-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Starting Petunia

I want to start about 50 petunia plants indoors for transplant outside
later in the year. I've never worked with Petunia seeds before. What a
surprise..these are the smallest seeds I've ever seen. I'd like to put
one or two seeds into each of 50 starter pellets. This seems a daunting
task due to the size of the seed. Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ
Old 17-04-2009, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:45:24 -0400, Ernie Willson
wrote:

I want to start about 50 petunia plants indoors for transplant outside
later in the year. I've never worked with Petunia seeds before. What a
surprise..these are the smallest seeds I've ever seen. I'd like to put
one or two seeds into each of 50 starter pellets. This seems a daunting
task due to the size of the seed. Is there any easy way to do this?

Thanks,
EJ in NJ

Start seeds in a clay pot and transplant the seedings to its
individual pot. I suggest peat pots. Or, for homemade pots look
he

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Newspaper-Seedling-Pots

Old 17-04-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ernie Willson wrote:

I want to start about 50 petunia plants indoors for transplant outside
later in the year. I've never worked with Petunia seeds before. What a
surprise..these are the smallest seeds I've ever seen. I'd like to put
one or two seeds into each of 50 starter pellets. This seems a daunting
task due to the size of the seed. Is there any easy way to do this?

I've used an ordinary eyedropper to suck up small seeds one at a time from a
white paper plate. But there are also devices specially made for the
purpose.

http://www.leevalley.com/home/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n

Old 18-04-2009, 01:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

I touch each seed with the tip of a very slightly moistened toothpick. The
seed then adheres enough to the toothpick that I can move it to a pot and
knock it off by touching it to the soil.

I also follow the advice on my seed packet: pretreat soil with No Damp, and
arrange for warm days, cool nights, and exposure to light. Except for the
cool night part, my experience has been that these are all essential.