Old 05-07-2005, 04:27 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Toni" contains these words:

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
news
"Toni" wrote:

After having to call 911 for myself after merely spraying DEET up into

the
air and walking under the mist- I respectfully disagree.

Sheese, did you ever hear of reading the directions. Being safe doesn't
mean that extreme abuse can't cause problems. You don't breath it, you
apply it to your skin.

No kidding.
I did not breathe it.
Repeat - I did not breathe it. In fact I clearly recall being extra careful
about inhaling any.

All I did was very sparsely mist my clothing as I am very cautious about
using such products.

The tone of your (very offensive) post implied that I walked underneath a
waterfall of the stuff with my mouth wide open.

To be fair, you did say you sprayed it up in the air and walked under
the mist then just couldn't breathe; which implies that you inhaled the
mist while walking through it.

If that is not what happened, the fault lies in your first account of
what you did, not in other people for assuming your description was
accurate.

Janet
Old 06-07-2005, 06:16 AM
Travis

Toni wrote:
"Betty Harris" wrote in message
ups.com...

Bourne Identity wrote:
Any amount of DEET is too much. It is a dangerous, period.
There are many things you can use other than DEET to repel
mosquitoes......ad

nauseum, ad infinitum, so on and so forth.......

Pay no attention to Victoria's rants. She is still trying to get
the flouride out of her city's water supply. Whatever it is
you're in favor of, she's against it.

After having to call 911 for myself after merely spraying DEET up
into the air and walking under the mist- I respectfully disagree.
Three showers and lots of scrubbing did nothing- I simply could not
breathe and it wasn't getting any better. Scared the living crap
out of me.
DEET is dangerous.

I don't think you followed the directions properly.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Travis

Mike Prager wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have a question re DEET.
[...]

Any other repellents "worth" trying ?

Check the last two issues of Consumer Reports. They checked
two less toxic formulations that they found as effective as
DEET. Most recently, it was a product called REPEL that
contains lemon eucalyptus.

Some may find reading here helpful.
http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/128/11/931

--

Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 06-07-2005, 06:40 AM
Travis

Mike Prager wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have a question re DEET.
[...]

Any other repellents "worth" trying ?

Check the last two issues of Consumer Reports. They checked
two less toxic formulations that they found as effective as
DEET. Most recently, it was a product called REPEL that
contains lemon eucalyptus.

Who makes it?

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5
Old 06-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Doug Kanter

"Travis" wrote in message
Mike Prager wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have a question re DEET.
[...]

Any other repellents "worth" trying ?

Check the last two issues of Consumer Reports. They checked
two less toxic formulations that they found as effective as
DEET. Most recently, it was a product called REPEL that
contains lemon eucalyptus.

Who makes it?

Looks like WPC Brands, Inc. www.repel.com. They make DEET formulations, as
well as the one with just botanical ingredients. The site shows a happy
fisherman, not getting bitten by bugs. It must be true, or they couldn't
suggest such a thing. :-)

Old 06-07-2005, 06:43 PM
Travis

Doug Kanter wrote:
"Travis" wrote in message
> [...]
Mike Prager wrote:
Robert11 wrote:

Hello:

Have a question re DEET.
[...]

Any other repellents "worth" trying ?

Check the last two issues of Consumer Reports. They checked
two less toxic formulations that they found as effective as
DEET. Most recently, it was a product called REPEL that
contains lemon eucalyptus.

Who makes it?

Looks like WPC Brands, Inc. www.repel.com. They make DEET
formulations, as well as the one with just botanical ingredients.
The site shows a happy fisherman, not getting bitten by bugs. It
must be true, or they couldn't suggest such a thing. :-)

Thanks.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5