Old 14-07-2005, 06:06 AM

Default Soil ph Change for Weed Control?

Moss and weeds of any and every
description are almost in total control.

I, like many others, place herbacides down the
list of remedies. I'm aware that many plants have
soil ph preferences. I'm considering a radical
change in soil ph. I've nothing to loose.

Have any any experience with such a technique?
My yard is in NW Oregon. Dan

Old 14-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Doug Kanter

wrote in message
ups.com...
Moss and weeds of any and every
description are almost in total control.

I, like many others, place herbacides down the
list of remedies. I'm aware that many plants have
soil ph preferences. I'm considering a radical
change in soil ph. I've nothing to loose.

Have any any experience with such a technique?
My yard is in NW Oregon. Dan

I agree with the idea, but if you're dealing with multiple species, it might
be a stroke of luck to make adjustments that annoys ALL of them. I think I'd
focus on ONE variable: Making the pH right the the plants you WANT to grow.
That matches the general strategy for the grass vs. weeds battle - help the
grass become dominant by providing the best possible support.

Old 14-07-2005, 03:20 PM
simy1

lots of things to consider: your pH is naturally acidic and you have
shade, else moss would not thrive. I am assuming you want to grow grass
instead, and in my lawn (I have similar conditions) I put down much of
the wood ash from the wood stove to improve the pH. But in shade I try
to be reasonable, grass has no chance, and have slowly made large areas
covered with vinca, lily of the valley, woodruff, lamium of all
stripes, and aegopodium. I accent them with ferns, hostas, daylily,
bloodroot, solomon's seal and forsythia.

If you want to grow flowerbeds, and you have part shade, it depends on
how well drained your soil is. I have sandy soil, and tulips,
daffodils, asian lilies, dianthus and peonies grow very well indeed.

Old 21-07-2005, 11:46 PM

simy1 wrote:

lots of things to consider: your pH is naturally
acidic and you have shade, else moss would not thrive.

I've moss through-out; more the more shade. The
shade stays, the sour soil goes. Which sweetener would
you recommend; calcium carbonate, perhaps sodium carbonate
or the bicarbonate applied with a hose sprayer, or ?
I hope to shift the soil ph well into an alkaline
condition within a few weeks. Dan