Old 19-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Registered User

Question Winter flowering plants?

hi everyone im new here. my name is will and im 20 from the uk.

anyway i grow plants from seeds and am currently growing pansies for the winter.
can anyone advise me of what other plants i can grow to get winter colour at this bleak time of year.

many thanks

Will
Old 19-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Vox Humana

"montuiiri" wrote in message

hi everyone im new here. my name is will and im 20 from the uk.

anyway i grow plants from seeds and am currently growing pansies for
the winter.
can anyone advise me of what other plants i can grow to get winter
colour at this bleak time of year.

http://www.rockspray.com/uses.htm
http://www.rockspray.com

PERENNIAL BEDS AND BORDERS - Gardens of perennials often lack visual
interest during the winter months when the herbaceous species are dormant,
waiting for spring's call of warmer temperatures. In the late summer months
when many perennials are waning, many of the Callunas are flowering
heaviest. The structure and foliage color of these evergreens can also be
used to an advantage. The winter blooming Ericas are natural selections for
winter color. Erica carnea and E. x darlyensis start forming buds in early
summer, that open as early as November in shades of pink, rose or white.
These long lasting flowers are colorful all winter until the first of May
when many of the spring bulbs are in full bloom. The soil requirements are a
bit different than those of some perennials but you may be able to provide
them with a site that has a well drained soil that has not had a lot of
fertilizer and manure added.

Old 19-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Doug Kanter

"montuiiri" wrote in message

hi everyone im new here. my name is will and im 20 from the uk.

anyway i grow plants from seeds and am currently growing pansies for
the winter.
can anyone advise me of what other plants i can grow to get winter
colour at this bleak time of year.

many thanks

Will

Witch hazel is great. It makes fragrant little flowers at the end of winter,
even before there are leaves on the shrub.

This picture doesn't quite do it justice, but you can find others. The
hybrid shown is pretty popular, so I suspect you can find it in the UK.
http://www.pbase.com/simon2005/image/38916822

Old 20-07-2005, 12:22 AM
paghat

In article , montuiiri
wrote:

can anyone advise me of what other plants i can grow to get winter
colour at this bleak time of year.

many thanks

Will

Hardy Cyclamen coum &amp Cyclamen hederifolium are autumn & winter
bloomers. Hepatic nobilis is a similarly small shade-tolerant perennial
that blooms in winter before arrival of its new leaves.

Winterblooming honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima, a shrub rather than a
vine) has fragrant white blooms in winter, followed by spring berries.

The hybrid heathers Erica x darleyensis called "Winter heather" or "Darley
heaths" bloom in the winter, need lots of sun.

Several species of crocuses designated "Snow crocuses" begin blooming in
January for the earliest, others in February. Crocus etruscus & C.
korolowski & C. ancyrensis are the earliest (Jan/Feb). The winter-crocus
Crocus laevigatus var fontenayi blooms even earlier, Dec/Jan. Here's an
overview of the snow crocuses I grow:
http://www.paghat.com/snowcrocus.html

Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn' is a deciduous shrub that blooms in winter.

Wintergreen (Gaultheria procumbens) has its berries big & red for winter,
good as blooms. Callicarpa bodinieri has neon-violet berries in winter.

Evergreen sarcococca has small tubular vanilla-scented flowers in winter.

Camellia sasanqua is a semi-climbing camellia with many varieties that
bloom depending on variety from September to February.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 21-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Mike

"montuiiri" wrote in message
can anyone advise me of what other plants i can grow to get winter
colour at this bleak time of year.

When in school in Ct there was a shrub that bloomed an interesting color of
red during the winters. Sorry I can't give more details.

Old 21-07-2005, 10:11 PM
Mike

"Mike" wrote in message
When in school in Ct there was a shrub that bloomed an interesting color

of
red during the winters.

Perhaps it was the Red osier dogwood:

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/Pheno...erDogwood.html

Disclaimer: 5 min. download with a dial-up. Make a cup of tea. If you can
get it to grow, don't over do it.

Old 21-07-2005, 10:36 PM
paghat

In article , "Mike"
wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
When in school in Ct there was a shrub that bloomed an interesting color

of
red during the winters.

Perhaps it was the Red osier dogwood:

http://www.uwex.edu/ces/wihort/Pheno...erDogwood.html

Disclaimer: 5 min. download with a dial-up. Make a cup of tea. If you can
get it to grow, don't over do it.

Red bark isn't the same as a red flower, but evergreen Camelea sasanqua
varieties include those which have intensely red flowers in winter (also
pink ones & white ones), & Asian hybrid deciduous witchhazels include
cultivars with strappy red winter flowers (also orange ones & yellow ones
& bicolors).

-paghat the ratgirl