Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 AM
Phillip Truscott

Default Winter flowering plants

Hi folk, I live in southern Tasmania and I'm looking for some winter flowering plants.
Last year when Burke's backyard was showing, Burke featured some red and yellow winter flowering
flax, but try as I have, nobody in Australia stocks it or sells it.
Was it actually ever available anywhere, or was it just Television hype?
Old 06-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Old Bugger

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 10:40:07 +1000, Phillip Truscott wrote:

Hi folk, I live in southern Tasmania and I'm looking for some winter flowering plants.
Last year when Burke's backyard was showing, Burke featured some red and yellow winter flowering
flax, but try as I have, nobody in Australia stocks it or sells it.
Was it actually ever available anywhere, or was it just Television hype?

Burke was well known for showing plants that are not available.

Have you tried camellias?

Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Truscott
Hi folk, I live in southern Tasmania and I'm looking for some winter flowering plants.
Last year when Burke's backyard was showing, Burke featured some red and yellow winter flowering
flax, but try as I have, nobody in Australia stocks it or sells it.
Was it actually ever available anywhere, or was it just Television hype?
Hi Phillip, I am from southern Tas too. Garden Express nursery stock them but they are not for Tas distribution but I have a feeling that I saw them in Chandlers nursery in Sandy Bay.
You should take a look at the Garden Express forum - its a great forum, I think you would enjoy it!
If you wish to email me I will give you more info about it:
Old 14-08-2005, 05:23 AM
Phillip Truscott

Thankyou good folk. At least I now know where I stand.

Phillip Truscott Wrote:
Hi folk, I live in southern Tasmania and I'm looking for some winter
flowering plants.
Last year when Burke's backyard was showing, Burke featured some red
and yellow winter flowering
flax, but try as I have, nobody in Australia stocks it or sells it.
Was it actually ever available anywhere, or was it just Television
hype?

Hi Phillip, I am from southern Tas too. Garden Express nursery stock
them but they are not for Tas distribution but I have a feeling that I
saw them in Chandlers nursery in Sandy Bay.
You should take a look at the Garden Express forum - its a great forum,
I think you would enjoy it!
If you wish to email me I will give you more info about it:

Yours Sincerely,
Phillip Truscott.

Still in good old laid-back Lachlan. Tassie.

Please send your replies to:
Old 18-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Andrew

Hi there,

Have you thought about salvias? I didn't know much about them, but the Royal
Tas botanical gardens has quite a collection, and they are in flower through
winter - quite amazing.

Cheers,

Old 01-09-2005, 12:01 AM
John Savage

"Andrew" writes:
Hi there,

Have you thought about salvias? I didn't know much about them, but the Royal
Tas botanical gardens has quite a collection, and they are in flower through
winter - quite amazing.

Cheers,

"Phillip Truscott" wrote in message
.. .
Hi folk, I live in southern Tasmania and I'm looking for some winter
flowering plants.
Last year when Burke's backyard was showing, Burke featured some red and
yellow winter flowering
flax, but try as I have, nobody in Australia stocks it or sells it.
Was it actually ever available anywhere, or was it just Television hype?

I think Phillip you need to indicate whether you get frosts in Winter.
I know it's cold in Tassie, but I imagine near the coast it would be
frost-free?