Old 12-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Punch

Default water with soft water?

in our neighbourhood, we need the use of a water softener, should I be using
this to water the grass, or flip it to bypass, and use untreated water?

Old 12-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Chas Hurst

"Punch" wrote in message
in our neighbourhood, we need the use of a water softener, should I be

using
this to water the grass, or flip it to bypass, and use untreated water?

Normally a water softener is needed only on the supply to the water heater.
Unless you have objectionable odors or taste in your water I would have it
connected that way.
And perhaps it is. Furthermore, despite what the softener sellers claim,
backwash salt remains in the system so you are watering with very slightly
salted water. Or drinking it.
I would use untreated water for watering.

Old 13-09-2005, 06:55 AM

Watering a typical lawn takes a hell of a lot of water, as compared to
any other household use. I sure wouldn't be spending bucks to soften
it for no reason.

Old 21-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Darryl

Punch wrote:
in our neighbourhood, we need the use of a water softener, should I be using
this to water the grass, or flip it to bypass, and use untreated water?

I just purchased a house in July with a water softener.

The 3 outside hose faucets feed off the water line BEFORE the softener,
so the outside water is always untreated. I imagine if the softener
was planned when the home was constructed, that's how they do it. You
may want to see if this is the case in your home as well.

They say that using potassium chloride pellets instead of sodium
chloride is slightly more expensive, but better for plants.