Old 17-11-2005, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default new lawn -- cold weather

I have purchased a new house, and the sod is being put down today. The
problem is that we're in a cold snap and the weather for the next few
days is supposed to be in the high 20's and low 30's at night. The only
other time I've worked with new sod, I watered it religiously every day
(rightly or wrongly) to help it get established.

I don't know if watering it is the right thing to do, especially in
this cold weather.

BTW, this is centipede grass I'm talking about, and I'm located in
south Mississippi (if that matters).

Old 18-11-2005, 12:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

Checked both Biloxi (south MS) 33F and Jackson (north MS) 31F, this early
a.m 6:05. Check the weather forecast for increasing temps for lows in the
early dawn hours for the next week. Get it from the source:
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/organization.php

Since its so cool now, water the grass down in early afternoon, lightly put
topsoil over sod just enough to help protect the sod from root freeze later
this winter. Don't bury the sod. 2 weeks watering is pretty standard for
roots setting in the new location. This late in the year was poor choice
for sod placement.
--
Lil' Dave
Beware the rule quoters, the corp mindset, the Borg
oups.com...

Old 21-11-2005, 03:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Apollo

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and watered it like you said, but I
skipped those three days were it was cold. I live near you over in St.
Tammany, Louisiana, so I guess you could do the same.

--
Apollo
Apollo's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=167