Old 25-01-2006, 05:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
DaddyMonkey

Default 1/3 grass-cut rule

If my grass is 6 inches tall....
and i cut it to 4 inches, following the 1/3 rule.

how long do I have to wait, before I cut it ANOTHER 1/3 ?

Old 26-01-2006, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

Never heard of a 1/3 rule. I rely on common sense. Hot temps, leave it
long. Competing weeds, leave it long. If the grass blades curl over, its
way too long. You start seeing horizontal/lateral runners, its too short
unless you put your golf ball on it. Then, none of this matters.

Jonny

Old 26-01-2006, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
James

I know the 1/3 "rule" is supposed to be a real "rule", but it never
made much sense to me. If I followed it (never have) my lawn would never
ever look mowed.

For me, I try to never cut more than 80 % at one time.

--James--

Old 26-01-2006, 01:11 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chub

"DaddyMonkey" wrote in message
If my grass is 6 inches tall....
and i cut it to 4 inches, following the 1/3 rule.

how long do I have to wait, before I cut it ANOTHER 1/3 ?

what kind of grass?
Without that knowledge I would say at least 1 week.

Old 26-01-2006, 01:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

The 1/3 rule is just a guideline for regular cutting. That means you
should cut it so that you don't remove more than 1/3 to get it to the
height you normally want it cut to. That minimizes the stress on the
lawn. That is only a desirable guideline. Many lawns get cut once a
week by a lawn service regardless of how much they will remove. If the
lawn has been allowed to grow real long, then you may have to take off
more than 1/3. Or else cut it 1/3, wait a few days, then cut it again.

Old 26-01-2006, 02:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

Regular cutting like a regular lawn service is like automatic sprinklers
during a long rainy season.
Jonny
oups.com...

Old 27-01-2006, 02:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
James

Say What ?????????

---------------

Old 27-01-2006, 02:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim

Must be another that runs his auto sprinkling system when the weather is
rainy for a long period of time. And is confused when its brought up.

Jonny
"James" wrote in message
Say What ?????????

---------------

Old 27-01-2006, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Timothy

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 20:45:05 -0500, James wrote:

I know the 1/3 "rule" is supposed to be a real "rule", but it never
made much sense to me. If I followed it (never have) my lawn would
never ever look mowed.

For me, I try to never cut more than 80 % at one time.

The 1/3 rule (really a suggestion) is more or less to keep you from
creating thatch. If you let the grass blades get long then hack them down
short, the sheaf on the blades will toughen and thicken. This is what
gives your lawn a "woody" feel to it when you walk on it.

The other reason for the 1/3 rule is the when you mow off more than this,
there is a big reduction of nitrogen stored in the blade...ie removed. The
grass blade has to rebuild it's store of nitrogen, thus a heavy pull of
nitrogen from the soil. Doing this a few times a season will not cause
major harm to the lawn, but repeated hacking will cause thatch and
chlorosis.

--
http://resources.ywgc.com

Old 28-01-2006, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

Donut matter, as long as he follows the 1/3 grass-cut rule.

"Jim" wrote:
Must be another that runs his auto sprinkling system when the weather is
rainy for a long period of time. And is confused when its brought up.

--
30GB/month http://newsreader.com/

1/3 grass cutting rule DaddyMonkey Lawns 7 24-09-2004 12:36 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Edible Gardening 11 12-11-2003 04:02 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Gardening 19 11-11-2003 10:42 AM
Forest Service dismisses timber-sale challenges PRINCE OF WALES: Environmental groups' concerns rule Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 30-08-2003 02:42 PM
Rule of thumb for fish stocking explanation Sam Hopkins Ponds 15 16-06-2003 04:06 PM