Old 22-09-2004, 01:46 PM
DaddyMonkey

Default 1/3 grass cutting rule

If my grass is at 6 inches high, and I cut it down to 4 inches (using
the 1/3 rule)...
...how long do I have to wait before removing another 1/3???

In other words, can I remove a third, and then turn around and cut
another third?
Should I wait 24 hours before the second cut? ...48 hours?

My lawn tractor is in the shop and my grass is getting tall. I want to
over-seed the lawn this Fall, but I need to cut the grass down to about
2 inches before sow the seed.

Thank you very much!
Dave

Old 22-09-2004, 02:41 PM
Srgnt Billko

"DaddyMonkey" wrote in message
If my grass is at 6 inches high, and I cut it down to 4 inches (using
the 1/3 rule)...
..how long do I have to wait before removing another 1/3???

In other words, can I remove a third, and then turn around and cut
another third?
Should I wait 24 hours before the second cut? ...48 hours?

My lawn tractor is in the shop and my grass is getting tall. I want to
over-seed the lawn this Fall, but I need to cut the grass down to about
2 inches before sow the seed.

Thank you very much!
Dave

Good question. I don't think I've ever heard that discussed before - but
then I ignore the rule anyway. Admittedly I don't have a "manicured" lawn -
but the grass keeps growing with minimal maintenance.

Old 23-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Peter H

DaddyMonkey wrote:
If my grass is at 6 inches high, and I cut it down to 4 inches (using
the 1/3 rule)...
..how long do I have to wait before removing another 1/3???

In other words, can I remove a third, and then turn around and cut
another third?
Should I wait 24 hours before the second cut? ...48 hours?

My lawn tractor is in the shop and my grass is getting tall. I want to
over-seed the lawn this Fall, but I need to cut the grass down to about
2 inches before sow the seed.

Thank you very much!
Dave

Just cut the grass down to the height you want it. The 1/3 rule is a
guide to go by but once you're out of shape it won't help to cut it back
in two stages.

Peter H
Old 23-09-2004, 06:33 PM
DaddyMonkey

Thanks, but I think I'll be cutting it in two or three stages anyway.
The first cut I'll be towing the de-thatcher.
The second cut I'll be towing the aerator; with a 24 hour period between
cuts.
Thanks,
David

Old 23-09-2004, 09:11 PM
DaddyMonkey

HA! You're going to de-thatch grass that is 6 inches tall?
Thanks SteveO!!!
I didn't really think of that!
I guess de-thatching first would rip to grass out by the roots, right?

Any suggestions on how to go about this project?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. I really don't have a problem with thatch. I use the de-thatcher
to pull-up the Wire Grass (Crabgrass) before I cut.

Old 24-09-2004, 12:36 AM
DaddyMonkey

I just measured my grass (yeah, I'm that picky)... it's about 9 to 9 1/2
tall, with the tallest blade at about a foot.

I should be getting my lawn tractor back tomorrow. It has a maximum
cutting height of 6 inches.
I'll cut the lawn at maximum height (6") on Saturday and then whittle it
down to size on Sunday.
I won't be sowing the seed anytime soon because the weather looks like
t's going to be dry... that is, unless we don't get hit with another
hurricane here in Va.

Thank you!
Dave

1/3 grass-cut rule DaddyMonkey Lawns 9 28-01-2006 03:55 PM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Edible Gardening 11 12-11-2003 04:02 AM
Pumpkin seeds RULE! dstvns Gardening 19 11-11-2003 10:42 AM
Forest Service dismisses timber-sale challenges PRINCE OF WALES: Environmental groups' concerns rule Aozotorp alt.forestry 0 30-08-2003 02:42 PM
Rule of thumb for fish stocking explanation Sam Hopkins Ponds 15 16-06-2003 04:06 PM