Old 16-03-2006, 08:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Default Pond

From Fall through Spring, we have a pond about 50' in diameter and less
than 2' deep. The Summer heat dries it up but I'd like to have it last
all year. There are lots of rocks on the bottom and I don't think I
could get them out by hand and I can't afford to rent power equipment..

Can anyone suggest a way to keep the water from going away? It's fed
from a small spring on my neighbor's property. I don't think I can
increase the flow. To reduce the outflow, I have cut down a lot of the
brush and small trees growing out of the pond and around the edge.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
Old 16-03-2006, 08:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
bBob

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
From Fall through Spring, we have a pond about 50' in diameter and less
than 2' deep. The Summer heat dries it up but I'd like to have it last
all year. There are lots of rocks on the bottom and I don't think I
could get them out by hand and I can't afford to rent power equipment..

Can anyone suggest a way to keep the water from going away? It's fed
from a small spring on my neighbor's property. I don't think I can
increase the flow. To reduce the outflow, I have cut down a lot of the
brush and small trees growing out of the pond and around the edge.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Can anyone suggest a way to keep the water from going away?

Is it evaporating? Is it flowing out? Is it soaking into the ground? Are
plants and animals consuming it?

If you can identify where the water is going it would be easier to formulate
a plan. You can 'blindly' increase the flow into the pond, but unless it is
greater than the loss, the water will still 'go away' (as you say).

Old 18-03-2006, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

Mostly because the existing rocks will probably cut holes in it. Being
out in the sun will tend to make it brittle over time. Also, 2000 sq ft
of 30 mil liner will be heavy and expensive. But maybe you're right.
Bite the bullet and rent a BobCat in August.

I will also ask around up in the hills of PA. All the farms up there
have "fire ponds" and they must know how to construct them.

JB wrote:
Why not put in a 30 mil pond liner?

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..