Old 03-04-2006, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Robert11

Default Filling Cracks In Old Railroad Ties Used As Garden Bordering ?

Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using
to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks
(checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help
hold them together, and as a secondary
consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more
cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really
get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Old 04-04-2006, 01:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JillAdams

use some 3" or longer stainless steel drywall/buglehead screws or larger
lag bolts if the "splinter" is large enough otherwise get some better ties.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jonny

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using
to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks
(checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help
hold them together, and as a secondary
consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more
cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really
get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

The preservative used in railroad ties does not work well with any adhesive,
bonding agent, filler, or caulking.
--
Jonny

Old 04-04-2006, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill

I have seen large checks filled with cement. It can be dyed to a dark color
too.

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
"Robert11" wrote in message
Hi,

Have purchased a few old railroad ties that I plan on using
to define some garden area borders.

Being quite old, and previously used, they have several substantial cracks
(checking the right term ?) in them.

Thought it would be a good idea to pour "something" in the cracks to help
hold them together, and as a secondary
consideration to keep moisture from getting inside them and causing more
cracks or enlarging those already there.

So, what should I use to hopefully help hold them together ?

My first thought was epoxy, but I doubt that it is fluid enough to really
get inside deeply.

Would Gorilla Glue bond surfaces with perhaps 1/16 - 1/8 inch gaps ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

Railroad Ties For Edging; Sealing Of Cracks In ? Robert11 Gardening 2 05-04-2006 12:00 AM
Railroad Ties for Landscaping James Black Gardening 13 02-06-2005 04:16 AM
Old railroad ties needed Jason Jones North Carolina 3 09-06-2004 06:07 PM
How to Clean Creosote on Railroad Ties James Eick Gardening 5 22-05-2003 07:56 PM
where can one buy new or used railroad ties MFA North Carolina 8 13-05-2003 02:56 AM