Old 08-04-2006, 03:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default New Sod Lawn w/ Weeds

We just moved into a new house that was completed this winter. The
bermuda sod was probably put in around January. We live in NW Arkansas
where now the weather is beginning to get around mid 60 - 70s in the
day and the weeds are beginning to grow rapidly. Most of the sod is no
longer visisble due to the weeds. I went to the Scotts website and
found that April 1 - June 1 to apply Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed
Control. So I went to the store and got that, but from reading the
package it says not to apply to new sod lawns until after 4 mowings.
Now, I have also heard that you are supposed to wait a certain amount
of time before mowing new sod to allow its roots to take hold. So I'm
not sure what to do... I'm afraid if I wait to long after seeing how
quickly these current weeds grew in, I'll have a jungle. So does
anyone have any information on what to do with a new bermuda sod lawn
with weeds? Most of the info I find online pertains to a new lawn or
an established lawn with weeds, but not a new lawn with weeds, and I
just want to get some advice before I do something to mess it all up.
I also have an sprinkler system... does anyone have any links to good
practice watering? Like how much and how often?

Thanks for any help,
Matt

Old 08-04-2006, 06:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
JillAdams

mowing the weeds wont help. you need to get the weed and root out. So
get out a small board or piece of ply wood about 2'x2' or 4'x4' so you
can stand or sit on and not hurt the grass roots while you are pulling
the weeds out by the roots. Dandilions are the worst to let go to seed
since the seeds will blow all over the place in the slightest of winds.

Eiher that or have the sod taken out and use a different company for sod.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
George.com

"JillAdams" wrote in message
mowing the weeds wont help. you need to get the weed and root out. So
get out a small board or piece of ply wood about 2'x2' or 4'x4' so you
can stand or sit on and not hurt the grass roots while you are pulling
the weeds out by the roots. Dandilions are the worst to let go to seed
since the seeds will blow all over the place in the slightest of winds.

if you are going to pull the weeds by hand I find a good sharp kitchen knife
very useful (the kind you cut up veges or steak with) to cut the stem just
under the soil line or work the roots free from the soil.

rob

Old 10-04-2006, 10:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Garden Viking

wrote in message
oups.com...
We just moved into a new house that was completed this winter. The
bermuda sod was probably put in around January. We live in NW Arkansas
where now the weather is beginning to get around mid 60 - 70s in the
day and the weeds are beginning to grow rapidly. Most of the sod is no
longer visisble due to the weeds. I went to the Scotts website and

Did you try the monthly reminder part on their site? It narrows down that
timeframe considerably.

found that April 1 - June 1 to apply Scotts Turf Builder Plus 2 Weed
Control. So I went to the store and got that, but from reading the
package it says not to apply to new sod lawns until after 4 mowings.
Now, I have also heard that you are supposed to wait a certain amount
of time before mowing new sod to allow its roots to take hold. So I'm
not sure what to do... I'm afraid if I wait to long after seeing how
quickly these current weeds grew in, I'll have a jungle. So does
anyone have any information on what to do with a new bermuda sod lawn
with weeds? Most of the info I find online pertains to a new lawn or
an established lawn with weeds, but not a new lawn with weeds, and I
just want to get some advice before I do something to mess it all up.
I also have an sprinkler system... does anyone have any links to good
practice watering? Like how much and how often?

Have you been watering? Can you pull up the "carpet" or is it rooted?
Water 2 1/2 " per week in the morning only every other day. Good deep
soakings.
If you mow now, use a bagger to get those bloom tops until you have mowed 3
times and then put down the weed and feed.

Thanks for any help,
Matt

Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Garden Viking wrote:
snip
I went to the Scotts website and

Did you try the monthly reminder part on their site? It narrows down that
timeframe considerably.

I am now signed up for their newsletter after buying the weed-b-gon max
and calling there support number to find out that it can't be used
until 3 mowings either.

snip
I also have an sprinkler system... does anyone have any links to good
practice watering? Like how much and how often?

Have you been watering? Can you pull up the "carpet" or is it rooted?

No, I have not been watering, just moved in a couple weeks ago, and
haven't set up the sprinkler system. The "carpet" is not rooted yet.

Water 2 1/2 " per week in the morning only every other day. Good deep
soakings.

Can do.

If you mow now, use a bagger to get those bloom tops until you have mowed 3
times and then put down the weed and feed.

Ok, that's what the person at the Scott's hotline told me, so that's
what I'll do. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

You're dealing with Bermuda. In a month or 6 weeks you'll have a great
lawn.

Mow it at least once a week for the next 3 weeks.

After that, check to see if the sod has rooted. If so, hit the lawn with a
broadleaf weed control product. I like the stuff that comes in a hose end
sprayer. If the sod hasn't rooted, wait until it roots and use the
broadleaf weed control product.

Later in the season, you'll have crabgrass (it is probably too late to apply
pre-emerge now). When the crabgrass appears, buy Image in a hose end
applicator and it'll take out the crabgrass.

You may have to repeat one or more of these treatments later in the summer
since you don't have a pre-emerge down.

In September, apply a broad spectrum pre-emergent (one that prevents
germination of both grass and broadleaf weed seeds). This will prevent most
winter weeds.

In late February or early March next year, apply another round of
pre-emergent. This will prevent most of the warm weather weeds next summer.

These things will give you a lawn with very few weeds. After that, all the
bermuda needs is regular mowing, water, fertilizer, and sunshine...

oups.com...