Old 20-04-2006, 04:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Best reel mower to buy?

I think I can mow my small lawn with an old fashion
reel mower

Any advice on best NEW reel mowers to buy?
Old 23-04-2006, 03:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Kyle Boatright

wrote in message
I think I can mow my small lawn with an old fashion
reel mower

Any advice on best NEW reel mowers to buy?

Are you interested in a powered reel mower, or a manual mower? I have had
good success with the standard 18" manual unit I purchaed at Home Depot.

Never refuses to start, no need to go out and get fuel, no bagger, you can
cut any time of day without bothering the neighbors, etc. A perfect
solution if you can cut your grass more often than you'd need to with a
powered mower. That is the big disadvantage to a manual reel mower - if the
grass gets tall, you're outta luck.

KB

Old 23-04-2006, 06:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote:

Are you interested in a powered reel mower, or a manual mower? I have had
good success with the standard 18" manual unit I purchaed at Home Depot.

Manual reel mower only

What brand/model you have?
Old 23-04-2006, 11:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Balderstone

In article ,
wrote:

I think I can mow my small lawn with an old fashion
reel mower

Any advice on best NEW reel mowers to buy?

I found one of the 18" models of these at a yard sale and would buy it
new...

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10190&cat=2,2160

but depending on where you are, you should call them and ask about
shipping cost. It may be prohibitive.

Old 24-04-2006, 02:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dave Balderstone
wrote:

I found one of the 18" models of these at a yard sale and would buy it
new...

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=10190&cat=2,2160

but depending on where you are, you should call them and ask about
shipping cost. It may be prohibitive.

Wow

Wish I could find such a thing at a yard sale!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I've been wondering about good reel mowers too. I've been using a
5-blade Craftsman for many years. It's OK but has shortcomings.

I was just about to buy an electric rotary, but with their drawbacks,
I'm considering a better reel mower.

From what I gather, 7 blade mowers are better than 5. Apparently also,

better mowers don't have scissors-like contact between the blade and
whatever the blade has contact with. Apparently this lack of contact
makes Brill mowers easier to push, and need little sharpening. Quieter
too, not that noise is an issue either way.
http://peoplepoweredmachines.com/brill_luxus.htm

I also see Mclane mowers that have the reel as wide as the wheel width,
which should eliminate the annoying "can't mow near the edges" feature
of reel mowers. But a review I read talked of needing to sharpen it.
See the bottom mower on this page. They only seem to have photos of the
powered ones.
http://www.mclanemower.com/reelmowers.asp

Will a good reel mower cut the type of grass that doesn't grow
vertically? Mine doesn't do it very well.

Will it cut stalks that shoot up from the lawn? Mine won't.

Anybody here have sucess with difficult grass with a reel mower?