Old 26-04-2006, 11:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
tmo

Default Craftsman 16" Reel Grass Catcher Attachment

Hi All,
My father recently gifted me his Craftsman 16# reel mower and grass
catcher. The problem is that he doesn't have the manual any more and
I'm having a bear of a time trying to figure out how the grass catcher
is supposed to be attached. The Craftsman website is closed and I've
had no luck on the Sears site. Does anyone have this model (apparently
also sold under the "Agri-fab" label) and can explain it to me? I think
if I saw a picture I could figure it out.

TIA,
Tmo

Old 27-04-2006, 12:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

tmo wrote:

Hi All,
My father recently gifted me his Craftsman 16# reel mower and grass
catcher. The problem is that he doesn't have the manual any more and
I'm having a bear of a time trying to figure out how the grass catcher
is supposed to be attached. The Craftsman website is closed and I've
had no luck on the Sears site. Does anyone have this model (apparently
also sold under the "Agri-fab" label) and can explain it to me? I think
if I saw a picture I could figure it out.

TIA,
Tmo

It sits on the front, exactly backwards from what you would expect after
seeing baggers on power mowers.

--
Art
Old 27-04-2006, 03:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
tmo

Hi Artemis,
Thanks for the reply. I have used the mower already (raking up the
grass afterwards, that's why I'm so keep to attach the grass catcher)
and most of the cut grass seemed to be coming out behind the reel.

I did look at the front of the mower and I can't really see how a grass
catcher would attach that way. Behind the reel there are two hooks that
I can attach the front of the grass catcher, it's how I hang the back
off the push handle that I'm having trouble figuring out.

There are three parts to the grass catcher, the catcher itself which
has a stiff, plastic bottom and nylon sides with a chain and hook off
the back, one long metal rod with loops which is the same width as the
front of the catcher and an "L" shaped metal piece that has a hook on
one end.

-tmo

Old 27-04-2006, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Artemis

tmo wrote:

Hi Artemis,
Thanks for the reply. I have used the mower already (raking up the
grass afterwards, that's why I'm so keep to attach the grass catcher)
and most of the cut grass seemed to be coming out behind the reel.

I did look at the front of the mower and I can't really see how a grass
catcher would attach that way. Behind the reel there are two hooks that
I can attach the front of the grass catcher, it's how I hang the back
off the push handle that I'm having trouble figuring out.

There are three parts to the grass catcher, the catcher itself which
has a stiff, plastic bottom and nylon sides with a chain and hook off
the back, one long metal rod with loops which is the same width as the
front of the catcher and an "L" shaped metal piece that has a hook on
one end.

-tmo

Look at page 8 of this owners manual.
http://www.mclanemower.com/manuals/17reel.pdf
This is the type I am familiar with. Never noticed it before but McLane
calls their reel mowers "front throw" so maybe yours is a "rear throw".
I guess some catchers go on the rear and some on the front.
Sorry I can't be more help.

--
Art
Old 28-04-2006, 03:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Artemis" wrote in message
newslb4g.15502$fG3.8756@dukeread09...
tmo wrote:

[...]

Maybe take a few digital pictures and post a link to them so folks can
really see it....
Tomes