Old 23-05-2006, 02:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
DaLadyN_Red

Default DAY LILLIES FOR EROSION CONTROL

I HAD a hill side approximately 20' x 50' filled with thorn vines
approximately 6 to 10 feet tall. I sprayed each vine from top to
bottom with Roundup® Poison Ivy & Tough Brush Killer Plus Concentrate
and the UNWANTED THORN VINES ARE GONE within 4 weeks.

I have been "googling" (researching) what to cover the hill side for
erosion control, drought tolerant, low maintenance and to my surprise
several website recommended Day Lillies. ClassyGroundCovers.com offers
50 bulbs at $28.00.

I figure day lillies spread and stand 3 ft wide and tall. They have a
grassy look in early spring and have a beautiful in bloom throughout
the summer. I am planning to plant a sand cherry bush every 6 feet and
surround it with day lillies. Wish me luck!

Home & Garden May's subscription shows a day lilly garden. It is a
must see.

If everyone has any suggestions, recommendations before I move forward
with this plan please advise. I would like to begin planting bulbs in
the fall.

Zone: 6

Old 23-05-2006, 04:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tom J

See my post to your other thread. You are not through killing the
vines by a long shot. You've knocked to tops back, but just give it a
month and you'll see vines growing again. It took me 3 or 4 years to
get most by grubbing out roots and it's now over 10 years and I still
fight vines every year, including poison oak, ivy and thorny vines. If
you plant those bulbs within the next couple of years, those vines
will be just as bad as before.
Good luck!!
Tom J

Old 24-05-2006, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
DaLadyN_Red

Thanks. I will wait and keep researching.