Old 03-07-2006, 05:53 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
dohc46

Default brownish/weedy/thin section of lawn

Every year from the beginning (3rd year) there is a section of the lawn

that is naturally brownish, weedy and thin with the other parts of the
lawn respectable. Ironically, my "fantasy" of a perfect lawn exists
right up against this "crappy" section....imagine this 3 acres of lawn:

most = respectable; 1 section = crappy; 1 section = "perfect"...of
course this "perfect" section is right up against the bad (weird).

Anyways....when I go to Lowes and come back with my fertilizer (gets
expensive for 3 acres) after about a week the entire lawn looks great
including the "crappy" section then about 6 weeks later I'm back to:
good, bad, perfect and the cycle begins again. This cycle has lasted 3

years.

Question: How does a person make their lawn permanently "good" instead
of going through the cycles of using fertilizer? I know it's possible
somehow since I have that one really good section and most of my lawn
is respectable without using any fertilizer.

Of course the answer might be: what the heck is the difference between
that: "perfect" section compared to that "crappy" section!

Both sections in full sun, relatively flat and same seed...for that
matter my whole yard is this situation.

My only thought (doesn't sound like fun) is to kill all the grass in
the "crappy" section; till it up, shovel up some "top" soil (if that's
what is), dump it by the railroad tracks , and bring in some new top
soil from somewhere that looks "good", finally reseed.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Ledford

dohc46 wrote:

[...]

soil test! ???

pH very important.

fertilizer on a lawn or on any soil which has not been
tested is not the wise and prudent approach.

get the soil tested. check with your county soil and water
management agent. some provide free testing. take a sample
from the crappy section and a different sample from the
respectable section. compare the results from the two separate
test. talk with your county soil and water agent. let him/her
advise you.

to kill, till and BUY "top" soil is not a judicious decision
without first having the testing done. let your county agent
inform you as to how the samples should be collected.

Patchy and weedy lawn Glen Lawns 2 08-04-2007 05:17 PM
Patchy and weedy lawn Glen Lawns 0 02-04-2007 11:15 PM
brownish/weedy/thin section of lawn George.com Lawns 3 08-07-2006 12:29 PM
Yellow/pale grass section on Lawn Zarch Lawns 11 17-09-2005 02:59 AM
brownish dusting on plants? Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 20-04-2003 06:23 AM