Old 05-07-2006, 10:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

Default Walnut tree for sale

About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you think I
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Old 05-07-2006, 11:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you think I
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there won't
be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you think
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there won't
be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are
going for over $1500 here for lumber.
Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way
trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts on
the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you think
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there
won't be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are
going for over $1500 here for lumber.
Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way
trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts
on the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

I'm quite aware of the machinery to move live trees. You are unaware of the
value of a small walnut tree. Walnuts are ubiquitous and of value only when
VERY mature. I've burnt walnut larger than your tree.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:59 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you
think I
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there
won't be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are
going for over $1500 here for lumber.
Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way
trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts
on the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

I'm quite aware of the machinery to move live trees. You are unaware of
the value of a small walnut tree.

No shit Sherlock - that's why I posted the question. But I was offered
$100 for it 5 years ago. So I guess you don't care what you burn.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
news

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you
think I
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there
won't be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are
going for over $1500 here for lumber.
Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way
trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts
on the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

I'm quite aware of the machinery to move live trees. You are unaware of
the value of a small walnut tree.

No shit Sherlock - that's why I posted the question. But I was offered
$100 for it 5 years ago. So I guess you don't care what you burn.

So now you mention you were offered $100 for it 5 years ago. Too bad you
didn't take it. Now you ask for advice and when you don't like what you read
you get testy.
I care very much what I burn in my woodstove, and walnut, while acceptable,
is at the bottom of the list. It is a good way to get rid of worthless wood
in an area were open burning it not generally permitted.
Do you realize that a walnut has value solely as lumber? It is an
undesirable tree for residential use. A 25' tree will require generations to
mature into one of commercial value, so it is unlikely that a purchaser of
your tree will see any financial gain.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
About 25' high. Buyer has to dig it out and move it. What do you think
ought to get for it ? (upstate NY) My neighbor thinks at least $100.

Dig it out? It's only use would be lumber and at only 25' high there
won't be much usable wood. Good for firewood.

You have to be nuts to burn a Walnut tree. Full grown Walnut trees are
going for over $1500 here for lumber.
Dig it out - you might be picturing digging by hand. That's not the way
trees are moved. There is a hydraulic clamshell type device that mounts
on the back of a tractor for digging trees out.

I have many black walnut trees on my lot. When one of the really big (30
inch diameter) ones blew over a couple of years ago I could not find anyone
willing to pay me for it, and I called around everywhere around here in NJ.
They would come and get it if I paid _them_ however. They all said there
was no demand for it. I ended cutting it up for firewood and it seems to
burn just fine in my fireplace - no problem at all there.
Tomes

Old 06-07-2006, 06:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That's the way it goes. If you had a truck load of logs-not trees, but cut
and trimmed logs-there would have been great interest.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

. ..

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That was when it was about 10' high.

Too bad you didn't take it. Now you ask for advice and when you don't like
what you read you get testy.

I asked for "what I should get for it" - you didn't say other than to tell
me "I was unaware of the value".

I care very much what I burn in my woodstove, and walnut, while
acceptable, is at the bottom of the list. It is a good way to get rid of
worthless wood in an area were open burning it not generally permitted.
Do you realize that a walnut has value solely as lumber?

Google walnut and you'll find a few other uses.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Actually I had the entire tree horizontal, uncut at all at the time. No
interest.

Old 06-07-2006, 03:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
"Tomes" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

No problem Sarge. I just am hoping that there is more interest wherever it
is that you are. Good luck with this.
Tomes

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Maybe leave it grow for a while and then sell it as real walnut to someone
that will appreciate it as furniture. (hope you're not in a hurry)

Why do you want to get rid of it, messy?

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 08-07-2006, 12:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

In the way of me building a 3 car garage.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
Why do you want to get rid of it, messy?

In the way of me building a 3 car garage.

10-4 those are better than a walnut tree for most applications.

--
http://NewsReader.Com/