Old 12-07-2006, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dean A. Markley

Default Weird Grass?

OK, first I am in SE PA if that means anything. My lawn is a blend of
bluegrass and fescues with the latter dominating. Lately, I've been
getting these clumps of yellow/green grass. They are individual shoots
with somewhat larger blades than fescues. The stuff grows faster than
the rest of the lawn. That is I can mow and two days later, this weird
grass is already two inches higher than the lawn. It's somewhat easy to
pull if you grasp it by the crown. However, there is enough that I am
losing the pulling war.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Dean
Old 12-07-2006, 11:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dean A. Markley wrote:
OK, first I am in SE PA if that means anything. My lawn is a blend of
bluegrass and fescues with the latter dominating. Lately, I've been
getting these clumps of yellow/green grass. They are individual shoots
with somewhat larger blades than fescues. The stuff grows faster than
the rest of the lawn. That is I can mow and two days later, this weird
grass is already two inches higher than the lawn. It's somewhat easy to
pull if you grasp it by the crown. However, there is enough that I am
losing the pulling war.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Dean

You left out the part about getting lots of rain recently, which
occurred in your area. Lots of water plus high temps combined with
your description and I'd say what you have is nutsedge. Basagran and
Manage are effective. Conventional broadleaf weedkiller won't do
anything.

Old 13-07-2006, 12:58 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dean A. Markley wrote:
[...]

So that's what that is. I've got too. Thanks for the tip.

Old 13-07-2006, 03:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tomes

wrote in message
oups.com...

Dean A. Markley wrote:
[...]

I agree that this would be nutsedge. I have this scourge in west central NJ
and it is indeed the enemy. It seems to have come in over the last couple
of years. The theory ( :-] ) in our neighborhood is that someone has sowed
the area with this only to wait for it to fully take and then come out with
the specific antidote and make a fortune.
Tomes

Old 03-08-2006, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
Dean A. Markley wrote:
[...]

So in looking at the stuff on the net about Manage I see that it is not
available in my NJ. Why is this?
Tomes

Old 04-08-2006, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Tomes wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Dean A. Markley wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale at the local ACE hardware store here.
They definitely had a nutsege control product in a small envelope for
around $15 and I'm pretty sure it was Manage. Also, LESCO sells it
and shows it in stock in many of their NJ locations.

Old 05-08-2006, 03:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tomes wrote:
So in looking at the stuff on the net about Manage I see that it is not
available in my NJ. Why is this?
Tomes

I'm pretty sure I saw it for sale at the local ACE hardware store here.
They definitely had a nutsege control product in a small envelope for
around $15 and I'm pretty sure it was Manage. Also, LESCO sells it
and shows it in stock in many of their NJ locations.

Thanks Trader, much appreciated I will try those.
Tomes

Old 05-08-2006, 04:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:35:53 -0400, "Dean A. Markley"
wrote:

OK, first I am in SE PA if that means anything. My lawn is a blend of
bluegrass and fescues with the latter dominating. Lately, I've been
getting these clumps of yellow/green grass. They are individual shoots
with somewhat larger blades than fescues. The stuff grows faster than
the rest of the lawn. That is I can mow and two days later, this weird
grass is already two inches higher than the lawn. It's somewhat easy to
pull if you grasp it by the crown. However, there is enough that I am
losing the pulling war.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Dean

I seem to be getting the same grass too. NE PA here.

I send my 4 year old out to pick them. That's the only suggestion.
I've heard this 'weird grass' is very much grass like, so anything
that would kill it, will kill your grass.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

Old 07-08-2006, 10:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Tia Tia is offline

wrote:

[...]

What you are describing sounds like the nutgrass prevalent here in
the midwest. It is also known as yellow nutsedge. I use trimec plus,
which is safe for most desired grasses, but will stomp out crabgrass
and nutgrass in addition to all the broadleaf weeds. Here is a link
which might help, there is a link to a pictu

http://msucares.com/crops/weeds/nut.html

Old 08-08-2006, 03:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

Not familar with trimec, just the big advertised stuff. Is it easily
available at the big box stores(like HD)?

thanks,

tom @ www.FreeCreditCheckGuide.com