Old 19-07-2006, 10:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

Default Not sure if this is the right forum, but some critter is in my house

It has a medium high-pitched, short chirp or cheep, one-time, stops a
bit then repeats, all times of the day or night then stops for lengthy
periods. I thought chipmunk, but they are usually more repetitive
vocally when they get going. I can't pinpoint where this is, I have a
cat so it is probably hiding, suspect the heat ducts but not sure
because the sound seems to alternate between the dining room and spare
bedroom, kitchen or back hall, it is hard to track the sound. This has
been going on for about a week now. I thought I might be hearing
things, but my daughter was here and heard it and asked what it was.

I bought a havahart live trap for smallish creatures, had a dickens of a
time getting it set, daughter figured out the final step, and loaded it
with sunflower seeds and a peanut. Nothing has happened yet.

Old 19-07-2006, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
It has a medium high-pitched, short chirp or cheep, one-time, stops a bit
then repeats, all times of the day or night then stops for lengthy
periods. I thought chipmunk, but they are usually more repetitive vocally
when they get going. I can't pinpoint where this is, I have a cat so it
is probably hiding, suspect the heat ducts but not sure because the sound
seems to alternate between the dining room and spare bedroom, kitchen or
back hall, it is hard to track the sound. This has been going on for
about a week now. I thought I might be hearing things, but my daughter
was here and heard it and asked what it was.

I bought a havahart live trap for smallish creatures, had a dickens of a
time getting it set, daughter figured out the final step, and loaded it
with sunflower seeds and a peanut. Nothing has happened yet.

I'll try to be more quiet. But could you leave out some peanut butter and
jelly and a couple slices of bread so I can make myself a PB & jelly
sandwich ?

Old 19-07-2006, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
newsguy

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
It has a medium high-pitched, short chirp or cheep, one-time, stops a
bit then repeats, all times of the day or night then stops for lengthy
periods. I thought chipmunk, but they are usually more repetitive
vocally when they get going. I can't pinpoint where this is, I have a
cat so it is probably hiding, suspect the heat ducts but not sure
because the sound seems to alternate between the dining room and spare
bedroom, kitchen or back hall, it is hard to track the sound. This has
been going on for about a week now. I thought I might be hearing
things, but my daughter was here and heard it and asked what it was.

I bought a havahart live trap for smallish creatures, had a dickens of a
time getting it set, daughter figured out the final step, and loaded it
with sunflower seeds and a peanut. Nothing has happened yet.

Since there are many various methods of 'trapping' critters, you need to
identify what it is first. Ask a friend and have one (who seems
knowledgeable in these matters) come over to help identify it. Then you can
ask for the trap (or other method of removal) at the local hardware store.

Old 19-07-2006, 11:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

No, your grubby paw will break my new trap :-).

Old 19-07-2006, 11:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"newsguy" wrote in message

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
nk.net...
[...]

I don't have many friends, and the ones I have I doubt would know. That
means animal control. Don't want to call them - yet. They get here and
the thing shuts up for hours with my luck.

I already bought a trap, hope it is not the wrong one. I may have put
the wrong kind of bait in it or it is just going to hide and cheep.
Hope it isn't a bat.

Old 20-07-2006, 12:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
[...]

Yeah, see my last message. The last two a couple years ago came out and
flew around at night, and I was able to throw a bucket over them when
they landed in the open, take them out and release them in the morning
away from my home.

Old 20-07-2006, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"I Love Lucy" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
[...]

Cool that you didn't freak out about a bat like some people seem to do.
Bats are my friends out here where I live, they munch the mosquitoes and
never bother me. (don't want them in the house tho)

Reckon there is a bat trap?
Old 20-07-2006, 01:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
It has a medium high-pitched, short chirp or cheep, one-time, stops a
bit then repeats, all times of the day or night then stops for lengthy
periods. I thought chipmunk, but they are usually more repetitive
vocally when they get going. I can't pinpoint where this is, I have a
cat so it is probably hiding, suspect the heat ducts but not sure
because the sound seems to alternate between the dining room and spare
bedroom, kitchen or back hall, it is hard to track the sound. This has
been going on for about a week now. I thought I might be hearing
things, but my daughter was here and heard it and asked what it was.

I bought a havahart live trap for smallish creatures, had a dickens of a
time getting it set, daughter figured out the final step, and loaded it
with sunflower seeds and a peanut. Nothing has happened yet.

A bat.

Shouldn't be a bat in the daytime.
I use hav-a-harts myself. Be patient and experiment with the bait.

Old 20-07-2006, 01:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
[...]

It's inside the house no?

Old 20-07-2006, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
[...]

I'll have to find out. And what and how to bait it. It unnerves me
when people post scary messages about rabies, but ever since I killed
one years ago with a broom handle because my husband freaked out, the
little thing cried so pitifully, I could never do that again unless it
tried to harm me.

I'm worried about how it got in, if it is indeed a bat which it probably
is. There are several possible spots. Didn't have any for a couple of
years and thought I was past that.

Old 20-07-2006, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bill

What about a bird's nest?
Chicks?? (Winged type)..

--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
nk.net...

Old 20-07-2006, 02:40 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
[...]

I always figure if they got in they can get out - but even in a house they
would find a hiding place and just "hang" during the day wouldn't they ?

Old 20-07-2006, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Steveo

"I Love Lucy" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"I Love Lucy" wrote:
[...]

Yeah people imagine dracula due to too many midnight movies. I had to kill
one once and it was on my boat about 14 miles off shore of avon ohio in
lake erie. This bat was all over us for some strange reason... there was a
big coast gaurd research boat watching us kill the bat too. (they were
throwing test bats at us i think)