Old 07-08-2006, 12:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Hibiscus Question

I love Hibiscus, and its big blooms.

I have tried both tropical and perennial. I like tropical, but it is
such a pain to have to take in during the winter cold, that I have
been trying perennial.

The first perennial I really like, but worse luck, I lost the
identifying tag, so I don't know what it is. The second one I tried
is not as good. I really want to find some more of the first kind.
It grows to a height of some 6 feet and has big (I mean big) pinkish
blooms. Has come back nicely after two winters now,

A local nursery had no idea what it is, and doesn't stock anything
that looks like it (it has leaves I think are called triple node, not
single node like the other).

Anyway, I have googled the subject, but cannot find a site that at
least has full pictures of the many Hibiscus types so I can match up
what I have.

Anyone know of one?

Thanks

Jethro

Old 07-08-2006, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 09:06:36 -0400, Stubby
wrote:

Swamp Mallow and Rose Mallow. The Swamp Mallow has blooms 6" or more
in diameter. The blooms are continuous from now through the first
frost. google them.

The blooms look like mine (most anyway), but I don't see my leaves in
any of them. The latter are triple node (if that is the right term).
That is - each leaf segment has three parts each with their own
'point'.

Thanks

Jethro

Old 07-08-2006, 10:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Swamp Mallow and Rose Mallow. The Swamp Mallow has blooms 6" or more
in diameter. The blooms are continuous from now through the first
frost. google them.

The blooms look like mine (most anyway), but I don't see my leaves in
any of them. The latter are triple node (if that is the right term).
That is - each leaf segment has three parts each with their own
'point'.

Don't mind Stubby, he's usually clooless. You should be able to find your
Hibiscus he http://davesgarden.com/pf/

HTH
--
Eggs

-I went to a seafood disco rave last week.... and pulled a mussel.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:27 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Swamp Mallow and Rose Mallow. The Swamp Mallow has blooms 6" or more
in diameter. The blooms are continuous from now through the first
frost. google them.

The blooms look like mine (most anyway), but I don't see my leaves in
any of them. The latter are triple node (if that is the right term).
That is - each leaf segment has three parts each with their own
'point'.

Don't mind Stubby, he's usually clooless. You should be able to find your
Hibiscus he http://davesgarden.com/pf/

HTH

Great!

This is it http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/24342/

Thanks

Old 08-08-2006, 12:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

Swamp Mallow and Rose Mallow. The Swamp Mallow has blooms 6" or more
in diameter. The blooms are continuous from now through the first
frost. google them.

The blooms look like mine (most anyway), but I don't see my leaves in
any of them. The latter are triple node (if that is the right term).
That is - each leaf segment has three parts each with their own
'point'.

Don't mind Stubby, he's usually clooless. You should be able to find your
Hibiscus he http://davesgarden.com/pf/

HTH

Great!

This is it http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/24342/

Thanks

You're welcome. That's a nice cultivar. =)

And that site's definately worth a bookmark, but I'm sure you've done that
already. Some of their forums provide a lot of useful information, also
(Identification, Carnivorous plants, etc.). You need to pay a nominal fee
in order to see entire threads, and/or post, but IIRC it was something in
the order of $15US per year. The plant database is free, though. I use it
frequently.

--
Eggs

Crime doesn't pay... does that mean my job is a crime?
Old 26-08-2006, 06:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
LJ LJ is offline

Take a look at Hibiscus 'Disco Belle' series. They are shown at the
davesgarden.com site as well.

I live in SE Michigan, mine (pink) comes up every year. Lots of big
8-9 inch blossoms in mid-late august, when little else is blooming.

Note that it might appear dead in spring, as it doesn't break ground
until June!

Yellow hibiscus 23 Paddy's Pig[_3_] Garden Photos 0 04-04-2009 01:05 AM
Hibiscus-2656 Maroochy Garden Photos 4 01-04-2009 01:11 AM
Question on pruning tropical Hibiscus Jethro Lawns 0 26-09-2006 01:02 PM
hibiscus bushes alicia Gardening 1 01-09-2003 04:12 PM
Hibiscus pruning T.L.Miller Gardening 0 26-01-2003 01:54 PM