Old 08-08-2006, 08:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden
TP TP is offline

Default Replaced needle and seat.

I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas
out the carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat.
Cleaned it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine
smokes (runs rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What
went wrong? How do I adjust the carb?

Thanks
TP
Old 08-08-2006, 11:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

"TP" wrote in message
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

Thanks
TP

How old is it and what's the model number of the carb ?

Old 09-08-2006, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art
Old 09-08-2006, 06:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

Artemis wrote:
TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art

Also, the float must float- be free of leaks.

Then there are the mixture adjustments- typically high & low-speed.
Sounds like one or both of yours are waaaaay rich. Typically turning
clockwise leans mixture.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
ups.com...

Artemis wrote:
TP wrote:
I have a troy built mower 5.5 hp Tecumseh. It was dripping gas out the
carb. I removed the carb. Replaced needle and seat. Cleaned
it(spray/rinse/air)and replaced gaskets.
It does not have a carburetor adjustment screw. The engine smokes (runs
rich). Just a red primer blub on the side. What went wrong? How do I
adjust the carb?

It is adjusted by the level of the float. The higher (lower when you
have it upside down on the workbench) it is the richer it will run.

--
Art

Also, the float must float- be free of leaks.

Then there are the mixture adjustments- typically high & low-speed.
Sounds like one or both of yours are waaaaay rich. Typically turning
clockwise leans mixture.

Sounds like you didn't read the problem the original poster has.