Old 01-09-2006, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default mower start

I have a Scotts lawnmower with a Briggs & Stratton 6HP engine. I
bought it several yrs. ago. I drain the gas tank every fall and change
the oil before every season. Also, I install a new spark plug every
other year (this year included).

Usually it's hard starting on the first mowing every year; after that,
however, it starts damn near every time on the first pull.

Now -- beginning halfway through this summer -- it has taken on the
habit of not wanting to start when the engine is hot. It still starts
on the first pull when it's cold. But every time I stop to empty the
grasscatcher, I can't restart. I have to wait 15 or more minutes
until the engine cools. Molto aggravating! Takes way longer to mow
the lawn, now.

Question: What in the world makes the engine *not* want to start after
it's been running awhile?

--My Aching Back

Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Question: What in the world makes the engine *not* want to start after
it's been running awhile?

--My Aching Back

Andy comments:
I suspect that it has more to do with the "way" you stop the
engine.
The stopping procedure may, for instance, be flooding the engine and
making it necessary to clear out the excess fuel, or unfoul the
plug.....
Maybe a couple of experiments in "stopping", such as stopping by
grounding the plug, pulling the choke, reducing the speed to idle
before stopping.... etc...
I don't know if this is the problem or not, but it only takes
a few experiments. Please post back here what you find out when
you get the problem solved , as I am sure many would like to know
the answer...

Andy in Eureka, Texas

Replace start cord on Craftsman mower tenplay Lawns 4 14-03-2004 08:08 PM
110/220 volt electric start lawn mower Arnold Swanson Lawns 1 16-11-2003 08:12 PM
Help - Sears Riding Mower will not Start after first Use cdoxey Gardening 5 14-06-2003 06:08 PM
Mower will not start Jmaes P Lawns 1 29-05-2003 05:32 PM
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start Big Al Gardening 5 27-05-2003 05:32 PM