Old 10-06-2003, 11:56 PM
cdoxey

Default Help - Sears Riding Mower will not Start after first Use

I have an older 12 HP Sears Riding Mower. It starts without a problem
when its cold. But after its been used for a while, stopped, and
restarted, it will not start. If I leave it overnight, it will start.
I made sure the air filter is clean (or close to it) and that's not
the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
C. Doxey
Old 11-06-2003, 12:08 AM
paghat

In article , cdoxey
wrote:

I have an older 12 HP Sears Riding Mower. It starts without a problem
when its cold. But after its been used for a while, stopped, and
restarted, it will not start. If I leave it overnight, it will start.
I made sure the air filter is clean (or close to it) and that's not
the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
C. Doxey

God hates lawnmowers, that's the problem.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 11-06-2003, 02:20 AM
Beecrofter

cdoxey wrote in message . ..
I have an older 12 HP Sears Riding Mower. It starts without a problem
when its cold. But after its been used for a while, stopped, and
restarted, it will not start. If I leave it overnight, it will start.
I made sure the air filter is clean (or close to it) and that's not
the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
C. Doxey

Classic symptoms of a bad ignition coil
Old 11-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Dwight Sipler

Beecrofter wrote:

...Classic symptoms of a bad ignition coil...

A hot ignition coil can open up, but that would cause the engine to stop
when it heated up, not a starting problem. However, if there is
insufficient air circulation in the engine compartment, the ignition
coil can get hotter when the engine is stopped. How long does the mower
have to sit before it starts again? 5 min? 30 min? 6 hours?

Vapor lock? When the engine is hot take off the air cleaner and put
about a tablespoon of gas into the carburetor and see if the engine
catches.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:20 PM
cdoxey

It usually takes more than an hour or two. Under an hour I know for
sure it won't start. I usually let it sit overnight since I don't
have the time to wait.

I will try you workaround below.

Thanks for the help!