Old 09-09-2006, 06:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RB RB is offline

Default how to clean off oily engine

Got a big riding mower with the engine in a crowded, tight compartment.
The engine has gotten very oily and greasy due to some oil blowing out the
breather. Problem is now fixed.

How do I clean the engine? My first inclination is simply to spritz it
down good with strong liquid detergent, let it soak awhile, and then flush
off with water.

That should get it cleaned up, but am I going to ruin anything by doing
this?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"RB" wrote in message
.. .
Got a big riding mower with the engine in a crowded, tight compartment.
The engine has gotten very oily and greasy due to some oil blowing out the
breather. Problem is now fixed.

How do I clean the engine? My first inclination is simply to spritz it
down good with strong liquid detergent, let it soak awhile, and then flush
off with water.

That should get it cleaned up, but am I going to ruin anything by doing
this?

My nephew who is a state engineer, Coast Guard diesel mechanic, and has
maintained a fleet of forklifts, blasts his machines off in a carwash all
the time.
Can't say mine have ever gotten that bad but a used Wheelhorse with a 20hp
Onan I bought last year was pretty dirty and clogged with clippings. I just
used a putty knife and toothbrushes, and shop vac (sucking and blowing).

Old 09-09-2006, 10:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
RB RB is offline

OK. Guess the warm, soapy water under pressure is the ticket, then.
Shouldn't be any way for water to get inside the engine where it shouldn't.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

RB wrote:
Got a big riding mower with the engine in a crowded, tight compartment.
The engine has gotten very oily and greasy due to some oil blowing out the
breather. Problem is now fixed.

How do I clean the engine? My first inclination is simply to spritz it
down good with strong liquid detergent, let it soak awhile, and then flush
off with water.

That should get it cleaned up, but am I going to ruin anything by doing
this?

I clean all my engines; mower, tractor, car, truck, etc., with a cheap
electric power washer: I spray full strength Simple Green over the
whole thing, a couple of times over heavy crud, wait a few minutes, then
spray away. Sometimes I even spray it again for stuff I missed, or parts
that didn't come clean enough. Cover any exposed air intakes.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 14-09-2006, 03:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

go to PepBoy or Auto Zone and get some Engine Gunk cleaner...Run the motor
let it heat up, spray the gunk on and hose it off.... its that simple
"