Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
BenignVanilla

Default How Clean is Clean?

It's that time of year when we're taking our hoop houses down, removing the
screening, scopping debris, vacumming the ponds. How clean is clean? When I
built my pond, I wanted a fairly natural look. The fact that my liner is
covered in a green sweater of algae is to me a success. The fact that plants
are growing densely near the bottom disguising the bottom is wonderful. The
fact that I have a few leaves in there, so what? Am I Abby Normal?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
Happy'Cam'per

Am I Abby Normal?

--
BV.

You're cooked, beyond recognition, absolutely Abby Normal
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 01-04-2004, 08:16 PM
BenignVanilla

"Happy'Cam'per" wrote in message
Am I Abby Normal?

--
BV.

You're cooked, beyond recognition, absolutely Abby Normal

That's obvious, but what about in regards to my pond cleaning?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Happy'Cam'per

That's obvious, but what about in regards to my pond cleaning?

Harmless Vanilla
As with all things aquatic.....YMMV
I don't even have a pond yet, I'm hanging out here just to learn the lingo
so to speak (and of course i find you all mighty entertaining to say the
least. Doing all my homework before the big plunge.
As far as cleaning goes I think I'm with you on this, a little coating of
algae on the pond liner is a sure sign that the eco system is working, and
besides there are critters that feed on it. I suppose one could be
completely anal about the whole situation to the extent of vacuuming and
removing leaves everyday...NOT. At the end of the day if its pleasing to
YOUR eye then so be it, as long as the water quality is good and clear. Its
all relative JA? Ok, now back to being bonkers
--
**So long, and thanks for all the fish!**

Old 01-04-2004, 08:17 PM

densely growing plants on teh bottom can accumulate a lot of mulm that could
potentially be a problem. best is to check for how dirty it is down there in warm
weather when walking in the pond and plan a cleaning then. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

It's that time of year when we're taking our hoop houses down, removing the
screening, scopping debris, vacumming the ponds. How clean is clean? When I
built my pond, I wanted a fairly natural look. The fact that my liner is
covered in a green sweater of algae is to me a success. The fact that plants
are growing densely near the bottom disguising the bottom is wonderful. The
fact that I have a few leaves in there, so what? Am I Abby Normal?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
BenignVanilla

[...]

Zactly. I like the slightly lived in look of my pond. Now if I had a formal
pond, which I'd love to have some day...That I'd keep clean. Hmm...a formal
pond leading up to the walk of the house...Ooohh....

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 01-04-2004, 08:18 PM
BenignVanilla

wrote in message
densely growing plants on teh bottom can accumulate a lot of mulm that

could
potentially be a problem. best is to check for how dirty it is down there

in warm
weather when walking in the pond and plan a cleaning then. Ingrid

snip

I am hoping that once my diffuser is in place on the BD, that the mulm will
be kept to a minimum. What do you think?

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

Old 02-04-2004, 03:39 AM

after 4 years I can still see a water lily label on the bottom of my 4' deep pond
that has the veggie filter. I dont add anything to break stuff down, but the big
difference is the net over the pond all the time AND there are no trees close enough
to dump leaves into our back yard and pond. in fall when I clean the veggie filter,
there is a 2-3 inch deep layer of muck I clean out. Ingrid

"BenignVanilla" wrote:

wrote in message
densely growing plants on teh bottom can accumulate a lot of mulm that

could
potentially be a problem. best is to check for how dirty it is down there

in warm
weather when walking in the pond and plan a cleaning then. Ingrid

snip

I am hoping that once my diffuser is in place on the BD, that the mulm will
be kept to a minimum. What do you think?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List