Old 26-10-2006, 04:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Making a new lawn

Hi, I have a small front garden approx 60 sq.metres and wish to make it into
a lawn (We already have a fair sized rear lawn). At present it contains
various bushes, shrubs and plants which will all have to be taken out.

Having done that what is the best way to proceed? I hear various advice.
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through, or apply
strong weedkiller etc?

Any advice gratefully received as I have never attempted this kind of thing
before.

Regards
John

Old 26-10-2006, 09:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 26, 11:45 am, "John" wrote:
Hi, I have a small front garden approx 60 sq.metres and wish to make it into
a lawn (We already have a fair sized rear lawn). At present it contains
various bushes, shrubs and plants which will all have to be taken out.

Having done that what is the best way to proceed? I hear various advice.
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through, or apply
strong weedkiller etc?

Any advice gratefully received as I have never attempted this kind of thing
before.

Regards
John

John:

If you have the plants out - depending on your location and the type of
grass you want, it might not be too late to plant grass seed. Sounds
like that is what you want in the long run. Otherwise, you might try
Round up to kill the existing plants and then weed barrier to keep
growth down until you are ready to plant, though the latter may not be
needed.

HTH,

Nick

--
Nick Owen
http://www.gardentodo.com

Old 26-10-2006, 10:35 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"John" wrote:
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through,
or apply strong weedkiller etc?

For what, to kill the weeds?
Old 27-10-2006, 07:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through,
or apply strong weedkiller etc?

For what, to kill the weeds?

If its a garden there probably arent many weeds. I say just clean it out and
sod, deal with the few weeds left over with some selective broadleaf killer.

Old 27-10-2006, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through,
or apply strong weedkiller etc?

For what, to kill the weeds?

If its a garden there probably arent many weeds.

Yeah good top soil and sunlight usually discourages weeds, right?
Old 28-10-2006, 02:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through,
or apply strong weedkiller etc?

For what, to kill the weeds?

If its a garden there probably arent many weeds.

Yeah good top soil and sunlight usually discourages weeds, right?

LOL in a perfect world! But what I was thinking of was a maintained garden.
Its mostly "deseriable" plants since most/all weeds have been well weeded.

Old 28-10-2006, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through,
or apply strong weedkiller etc?

For what, to kill the weeds?
If its a garden there probably arent many weeds.

Yeah good top soil and sunlight usually discourages weeds, right?

LOL in a perfect world! But what I was thinking of was a maintained
garden. Its mostly "deseriable" plants since most/all weeds have been
well weeded.

Yeah ok, pass the weed over here when you're done with it, Mike. :#)
Old 28-10-2006, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Mike" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
"John" wrote:
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through,
or apply strong weedkiller etc?

For what, to kill the weeds?
If its a garden there probably arent many weeds.

Yeah good top soil and sunlight usually discourages weeds, right?

LOL in a perfect world! But what I was thinking of was a maintained
garden. Its mostly "deseriable" plants since most/all weeds have been
well weeded.

Yeah ok, pass the weed over here when you're done with it, Mike. :#)

Haha okay will do. I guess i shouldn't assume that all gardens are weed free
like mine, but im a weed nazi!

Old 30-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
Hi, I have a small front garden approx 60 sq.metres and wish to make it into
a lawn (We already have a fair sized rear lawn). At present it contains
various bushes, shrubs and plants which will all have to be taken out.

Having done that what is the best way to proceed? I hear various advice.
Should I put a membrane down to discourage weeds coming through, or apply
strong weedkiller etc?

Any advice gratefully received as I have never attempted this kind of thing
before.

Regards
John
Hey, I suggest you to read free ebook about gardening at this adress http://www.agardening.info
Anyway if I were you a would use a membrane. But if you have plenty of time to work on grass daily than you don't need to use it. If you are going to use weedkiller read about what are the side affects of using it

Old 30-10-2006, 10:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lukaslo wrote:
John Wrote:
[...]

What does possibly using a membrane vs plenty of time daily o work on
grass have to do with starting a new lawn?

Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 AM
Registered User

Hi John

If i was you i would dig every thing out of the shrub bed rotavate the soil, rake it out taking stones and any bulbs ect that you have missed then heel and toe compact the area then rake it level again put down a pre turf fertiliser, then look for a grass that is going to suit your needs Fine (High Mainenance) Medium Fine ok for front lawn (recommended) or High wear utility grass. for back lawns suitable for of Kid and pets.
Good Luck
Charles
www.everythingforthegarden.co.uk

Beginner needs advice on making a garden/lawn for my 2 year old to play in !!! Richard William United Kingdom 15 13-03-2011 05:59 PM
Making a new compost heap advice fimonkey United Kingdom 10 02-09-2008 05:51 AM
Making new lawn John United Kingdom 6 27-10-2006 08:11 PM
Making an ugly lawn more attractive tenplay Gardening 2 10-05-2006 10:42 PM
Making Hypertufa ornaments for you lawn and garden. Page updated fillyflash Gardening 0 22-02-2003 01:03 AM