Old 26-10-2006, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Old Ariens Snowblower w/5HP Tecumseh Engine

Hello friends,

I'm looking for some help with some minor troubleshooting on this old
beast. I believe that the issue is with the recoil starter not engaging
with the crankshaft. I've already removed the flywheel and checked the
flywheel key, it's fine. Removed the cylinder head, rotated the
flywheel and the pistons are all responding as they should.

It simply seems to be a matter of the recoil starter not catching. I
looked at a diagram of the recoil starter anatomy and all seems to be
well. I looked at a diagram of the crankshaft/flywheel and all seems to
be well there too.

Yes, the recoil is okay, you pull the rope and no problem on that end,
it recoils like it should.

Seems like this should be pretty simple, but this is my first go at a
snowblower repair, so it could be something basic that I'm overlooking.

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Old 27-10-2006, 08:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"AmyB" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello friends,

I'm looking for some help with some minor troubleshooting on this old
beast. I believe that the issue is with the recoil starter not engaging
with the crankshaft. I've already removed the flywheel and checked the
flywheel key, it's fine. Removed the cylinder head, rotated the
flywheel and the pistons are all responding as they should.

How many "pistons" does this sucker have ?

It simply seems to be a matter of the recoil starter not catching.

Sometimes the recoil engaging mechanism sticks. Is it clean and lubricated
?
It sounds like you are not feeling the normal resistance when you pull the
rope - is that true ?

Old 28-10-2006, 04:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for your response!

So long as my terminology is correct (and it's possible it isn't), it
has three pistons. An oversized one is the combustion chamber, then
there are two smaller ones, more than half the size of the large one.

Everything is clean and lubricated, but yes, there is not the normal
resistance when pulling the rope. Although, to be quite honest, I'm not
entirely sure what the recoil engaging mechanism is and what it looks
like, though I'm sure I will by the time this is all done. Yes, I am
blonde. Thanks for not asking outright

The snowblower is a vintage one, 1976. And I like a good challenge. . .

Amy

On Oct 27, 3:47 am, "Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"AmyB" wrote in ooglegroups.com...

Hello friends,

I'm looking for some help with some minor troubleshooting on this old
beast. I believe that the issue is with the recoil starter not engaging
with the crankshaft. I've already removed the flywheel and checked the
flywheel key, it's fine. Removed the cylinder head, rotated the
flywheel and the pistons are all responding as they should.How many "pistons" does this sucker have ?

It simply seems to be a matter of the recoil starter not catching.Sometimes the recoil engaging mechanism sticks. Is it clean and lubricated

?

Old 28-10-2006, 04:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks for your response!

So long as my terminology is correct (and it's possible it isn't), it
has three pistons. An oversized one is the combustion chamber, then
there are two smaller ones, less than half the size of the large one
and they're in a triangular formation.

Old 28-10-2006, 01:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"AmyB" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for your response!

So long as my terminology is correct (and it's possible it isn't), it
has three pistons. An oversized one is the combustion chamber, then
there are two smaller ones, more than half the size of the large one.

The large one is the piston. The 2 smaller ones are the valves - one intake
and one exhaust.

Everything is clean and lubricated, but yes, there is not the normal
resistance when pulling the rope. Although, to be quite honest, I'm not
entirely sure what the recoil engaging mechanism is and what it looks
like, though I'm sure I will by the time this is all done.

Sounds like that's the problem. Most small motor repair manuals have nice
diagrams of the engaging mechanisms. I know TSC has them - maybe Wallmart -
maybe bookstores. Can't remember where I got mine. (BTW - TSC is Tractor
Supply Co. - chain store)

Yes, I am
blonde.

I'm reasonably sure that is not a problem.