Old 17-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Registered User

Default lawn problem

hi, i had a concrete base for a shed that i removed in july and top soiled over.I then seeded the topsoil with "tuffgrass" as i have 2 little ones, initially it took very well and i had lush green strong grass but now after its last cut the rest of the lawn is long and lush and the square patch of approximately 12ft by 5ft has turned a yellowy colour and is growing far slower than the rest of the garden..any ideas guys??
Old 17-11-2006, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jellyfish said:

hi, i had a concrete base for a shed that i removed in july and top
soiled over.I then seeded the topsoil with "tuffgrass" as i have 2
little ones, initially it took very well and i had lush green strong
grass but now after its last cut the rest of the lawn is long and lush
and the square patch of approximately 12ft by 5ft has turned a yellowy
colour and is growing far slower than the rest of the garden..any ideas
guys??

LOL lemme get this straight...

You just threw some dirt over the top of a big concrete pad, and planted
grass on it? My first question has got to be, "WHY?".

My next question would have to be, "Is this a troll?". Because, if it is,
you got me good.

IF you're serious...

How deep is the soil?
What kind of soil?
What kind of setup did you allow for drainage?

Don't you now have a big, square/rectangular "hump" of lawn now? That's
GOTTA look more strange than a concrete pad. I have a 16x20' concrete pad
in my back yard, that used to have a basketball goal at one end. The goal's
been removed, and the pad now holds my shed, and any piles of garden mix
and mulch that I buy, until it's ready to be dispersed, a garden trailer,
and any limbs that fall from my trees, until they can be disposed of. Sure
beats the hell out of having all that stuff sit on my lawn, killing areas.

A concrete pad in your yard can be quite useful. I doubt seriously that you
will be able to get lawn to grow there, to your liking. Either remove the
pad, and THEN put in a lawn, or learn to live with the pad, and utilize it.

--

Eggs

A hen is an egg's way of making another egg.
Old 18-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Registered User

lol eggs,,, of course i removed the concrete and removed as much of the bigger stones as i could and dug down probably 8 inches or so..then used topsoil to level it then seeded and lightly covered with topsoil..as i said, initially it grew amazing only the last month it seems to be struggling unlike the rest of the lawn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs Zachtly

Old 18-11-2006, 03:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Eggs Zachtly" wrote in message
jellyfish said:

hi, i had a concrete base for a shed that i removed in july and top
soiled over.I then seeded the topsoil with "tuffgrass" as i have 2
little ones, initially it took very well and i had lush green strong
grass but now after its last cut the rest of the lawn is long and lush
and the square patch of approximately 12ft by 5ft has turned a yellowy
colour and is growing far slower than the rest of the garden..any ideas
guys??

LOL lemme get this straight...

You just threw some dirt over the top of a big concrete pad, and planted
grass on it? My first question has got to be, "WHY?".

I think he meant he "removed" the concrete and then filled in with "top
soil".

The concrete probably had been like adding lime to the soil for years.

Old 18-11-2006, 10:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

jellyfish said:

lol eggs,,, of course i removed the concrete and removed as much of the
bigger stones as i could and dug down probably 8 inches or so..then
used topsoil to level it then seeded and lightly covered with
topsoil..as i said, initially it grew amazing only the last month it
seems to be struggling unlike the rest of the lawn

Ok. *whew* glad it was me. I kinda figured I read it wrong, but I couldn't
stop laughing, to read it again. =)

I agree with the Sarge and Jim. Take samples from that area, and test the
pH.

--

Eggs

Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long.

Old 19-11-2006, 03:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

kevin crowl wrote:

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
jellyfish said:

lol eggs,,, of course i removed the concrete and removed as much of the
bigger stones as i could and dug down probably 8 inches or so..then
used topsoil to level it then seeded and lightly covered with
topsoil..as i said, initially it grew amazing only the last month it
seems to be struggling unlike the rest of the lawn

Ok. *whew* glad it was me. I kinda figured I read it wrong, but I couldn't
stop laughing, to read it again. =)

I agree with the Sarge and Jim. Take samples from that area, and test the
pH.

It needs fertilizer.

no. fertilizer without first knowing the pH is not
a prudent thing to do under any circumstance.
Old 22-11-2006, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I had to chime in on this......

You can do a PH test, but the patch in question is already telling you
that something is wrong. Added fertilizer will probably do nothing more,
and maybe even kill the young grass.

I had a similar problem - removed a tree, had the stump ground down, and
the stump wood chips hauled away. Filled in the depressed area with top
soil and seeded with tall fescue. Man! The seed came in beautifully, but
3 weeks later the newly seeded area is looking yellow and discolored. I
do not know the chemistry behind this is, but I recognized what was
happening - the soil was low in IRON which inhibits the grass plant from
taking up nutrients. I went to the local big box hardware store and
bought an iron supplement that is applied via hose end sprayer. Made two
applications 3 weeks apart and the area greened up REAL NICE! The patch
is practically filled in after 2.5 months. Only used 1/3 of the 16oz
bottle of liquid iron supplement.

Lou Reyna
Virginia Beach, VA