Old 05-12-2006, 11:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Coffee grounds and lawns

Thought I would share my experiences of using coffee grounds as a lawn
fertiliser this last spring.

Summer has (nigh on/almost/perhaps) arrived and almost drawn my 3 1/2 month
experiment using coffee grounds as a lawn fertiliser to a close. All in all
I am quite pleased with the results.

My front lawn was looking very nice last autumn, until I accidently scalped
it with a reel mower however. It never recovered in time before winter and
had a infestation of moss over the cold months. The back lawn was not quite
so nice but was coming along well in autumn and didn't get scalped.

The grass is a mixture of fescue, rye and bent grass (brown top), cool
season grasses so over spring they grew well and are starting to slow down
with hotter weather appearing. Every week I get about 50 litres of used
grounds from a local cafe.

Once I had gotten the moss under control I started spreading the coffee
grounds on the lawn. To cover the entire lawn was about a 4-5 week cycle. I
tried to apply them a day or 2 before rain so they would dry on the surface
and be washed in by rainfall. I combined this with mulching the lawn (not
using a catcher) and gradually lifting the blade height through spring.

The combination of the 3 has resulted in a very nice lush lawn with the
added bonus that the grasses, given the height of mowing, have been able to
self seed in places. All is still not quite right on the front lawn. There
are some bald patches I will have to oversow in autumn and I have yellow
clover (a spreading mat type clover that smothers out grasses) in it at the
moment. All in all however I have found using coffee grounds, mulching and
higher mowing beneficial.

As an aside, it is interesting to see the ebb and flow of lawn weeds through
a series of years. I inherited a lawn with broadleaf weeds and alot of
couch. The broadleaf and couch are all but gone but replaced by other types
of weed.

rob

Old 06-12-2006, 03:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

George.com wrote:
[...]

Have you tested the PH? As I recall, coffee grinds were supposed to
be mildly acidic. I've been tossing mine on some rhododendrons.
Where do you get the grinds in volume?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
ps.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]

the variety of literature I have reviewed says that coffee grounds have a
negligable effect of soil ph. In order to produce a significant shift would
require a large quantity. I have an arrangement with a local cafe to take
their grinds each week. They empty the shots in to plastic bags and leave
the bags out back for me to pick up.

rob

Old 07-12-2006, 01:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

George.com wrote:
wrote in message
ps.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]

There is also a variety of info on the web that says the grounds are
acidic, and are preferable for plants that prefer a lower PH. Which
is why I asked if you had checked the PH, because it would be
interesting to see what it is.

Old 09-12-2006, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"George.com" wrote in message

wrote in message
ps.com...

George.com wrote:
[...]

Just wondering what the fungus type is that usually gets used coffee grinds
if stored damp and sealed, for more than a couple of days. Its white in
color, no odor. Also consumes food refuse if stored the same way.
--
Jonny

Old 15-12-2006, 04:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 00:43:31 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

Thought I would share my experiences of using coffee grounds as a lawn
fertiliser this last spring.

Waiter is this coffee fresh? It tastes like mud.

Well that's not surprising, sir. It was ground this morning.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)