Old 16-02-2007, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default split rails

How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

Old 17-02-2007, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)

--
http://NewsReader.Com/
Old 18-02-2007, 12:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)

--

About 8 foot

Old 18-02-2007, 12:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Gary" wrote in message
t...

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)

--

About 8 foot

Normally wedges are used. Some species split easier than others and some
don't really split at all.
What species do you contemplate splitting?

Old 18-02-2007, 10:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 17, 8:13 am, "Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

With a wedge, dear Gary dear Gary dear Gary...

BTH
(Sorry, but you're lucky there was no applicable line from "Oklahoma"
or I'd still be singing...)

Old 18-02-2007, 01:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Gary" wrote in message
t...

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message

"Gary" wrote in message
t...

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)

--

About 8 foot

Normally wedges are used. Some species split easier than others and some
don't really split at all.
What species do you contemplate splitting?
oak and popular

Poplar is not very rot resistant, both species can be split. Splitting is
easier when the wood is frozen.

Old 18-02-2007, 02:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Chas Hurst wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message
t...
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote in message
t...
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)

--

About 8 foot
Normally wedges are used. Some species split easier than others and some
don't really split at all.
What species do you contemplate splitting?
oak and popular

Poplar is not very rot resistant,

Compared to what?

Poplar is what most split rail fences are made of because it is fairly
rot resistant and tolerates years of weathering. Compared to other
un-treated woods, poplar is an excellent choice.

Now if he could use treated wood for the posts that would be even better.

--
Art
Old 18-02-2007, 02:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Art" wrote in message
Chas Hurst wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message
t...
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote in message
t...
"Steveo" wrote in message
"Gary" wrote:
How can I split my oun logs to make split rails thanks

How long are your logs? (ducks)

--

About 8 foot
Normally wedges are used. Some species split easier than others and
some don't really split at all.
What species do you contemplate splitting?
oak and popular

Poplar is not very rot resistant,

Compared to what?

Compared to locust, cedar, redwood, white oak.