Old 19-04-2007, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Salt contaminated soil

Hi All,

I recently purchased a new home and have noticed a large area in my
back yard that looked like death on roots. The grass was brown, a
dozen or so smaller trees, one mature forsythia, a small rhododendron
were all dead. A large Weeping Willow is on its last legs.

When I investigated the problem, it didn't take me long to realize
what was causing it. The previous owner ran the drain tube for his
water softener into a sump pit in the basement. He then channeled the
discharge from the pit to the affected spot at the back of my lawn.
Every time the softener cycled, it flushed a potent load of salt water
onto the root systems killing everything.

I've already shut down the softener and will remediate the drainage
right away directing the discharge to the house sewage system where it
belongs. In the mean time I'm wondering what to do with my scorched
earth.

- Is there a way I can test the soil salinity to determine the extent
of my problem?
- Will rain water eventually wash the problem away? The roof gutters
discharge to the same location so there's plenty of irrigation.
- Is there something I can plant in the damaged area that loves salt,
and possibly even eats it up?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

-Tom B
Audubon, PA

Old 19-04-2007, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I recently purchased a new home and have noticed a large area in my
back yard that looked like death on roots. The grass was brown, a
dozen or so smaller trees, one mature forsythia, a small rhododendron
were all dead. A large Weeping Willow is on its last legs.

When I investigated the problem, it didn't take me long to realize
what was causing it. The previous owner ran the drain tube for his
water softener into a sump pit in the basement. He then channeled the
discharge from the pit to the affected spot at the back of my lawn.
Every time the softener cycled, it flushed a potent load of salt water
onto the root systems killing everything.

I've already shut down the softener and will remediate the drainage
right away directing the discharge to the house sewage system where it
belongs.

careful if u have septic system. may overload it causing a different
problem.

In the mean time I'm wondering what to do with my scorched
earth.

- Is there a way I can test the soil salinity to determine the extent
of my problem?
- Will rain water eventually wash the problem away? The roof gutters
discharge to the same location so there's plenty of irrigation.
- Is there something I can plant in the damaged area that loves salt,
and possibly even eats it up?

certain grasses grow at the beach with lots of salt water.

Old 20-04-2007, 05:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 19, 3:52 pm, "Apu Inmypants" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Audubon, PA- Hide quoted text -

That's definitely a valid insight, Apu, but I'm on public sewage. I
worry about my cast iron drain stack corroding from the salt, but I
don't think it should cause a huge problem. Cast iron tends to coat
up on the inside thereby protecting itself.

Old 20-04-2007, 09:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 19 Apr, 18:34, wrote:
[...]

Hi - from the UK.
One of several shrubs that will tolerate salted soils is the Tamarisk
(Tamarix pentendra) IIf you can get that over there, and it grows ok,
then there are also a few different Euonymus varieties that will
tolerate salt - Most of the Euonymus japonica varieties will do ok.
Grasses were mentioned in an earlier post - For lawn-type grasses, the
finer leaved fescues or agrostis will tolerate salt, and for the
taller ornamental grasses, then the Miscanthus sinensis types will be
ok as will a blue grass - Elymus hispida.
Hope this helps a little. Regards Data
www.gardenseeker.com
As for them eating the salt up - I doubt it.