Old 29-04-2007, 03:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default garden/ farm terms

I just started my first garden Corn, onions , beans .What do the terms lay
off , onion set as opposed to seed I s there a slag book of
terms I could read Thanks.

Old 29-04-2007, 04:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Gary wrote:
I just started my first garden Corn, onions , beans .What do the terms lay
off , onion set as opposed to seed I s there a slag book of
terms I could read Thanks.

Lay off means to lay out the rows.
Onion sets are already started plants or small onions as opposed to seeds.
As far as a book I would like to know myself.
I do remember the Farmers Almanac was kept forever. There wasn't a whole
lot around to read except it and the Sears & Roebuck Catalog and the
rare Newspaper, when they made it to town. I wished we had kept a few of
them.
Old 29-04-2007, 06:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"torent" wrote in message ...
Gary wrote:
I just started my first garden Corn, onions , beans .What do the terms
lay off , onion set as opposed to seed I s there a slag book
of terms I could read Thanks.

Lay off means to lay out the rows.
Onion sets are already started plants or small onions as opposed to seeds.
As far as a book I would like to know myself.
I do remember the Farmers Almanac was kept forever. There wasn't a whole
lot around to read except it and the Sears & Roebuck Catalog and the rare
Newspaper, when they made it to town. I wished we had kept a few of them.

We used the Sears catalog in the outhouse, same with the occasional
newspaper.

Old 29-04-2007, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Try "Crockett's Victory Garden" published by Little Brown & Company
. net...

Old 30-04-2007, 01:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"torent" wrote in message ...
Gary wrote:
I just started my first garden Corn, onions , beans .What do the terms
lay off , onion set as opposed to seed I s there a slag book
of terms I could read Thanks.

Lay off means to lay out the rows.
Onion sets are already started plants or small onions as opposed to seeds.

Onions are a 2 year plant - so if you plant seeds this year at the end of
the growing season you will have small onions. If you harvest them and hang
them to dry you will have onion sets to plant the next year. Some people
also start seeds in boxes and when they are scallion size they transplant
them.

As far as a book I would like to know myself.
I do remember the Farmers Almanac was kept forever. There wasn't a whole
lot around to read except it and the Sears & Roebuck Catalog and the rare
Newspaper, when they made it to town. I wished we had kept a few of them.

We use the Cooperative Extension. They have pamphlets on almost every aspect
of gardening. But the 3 things you mentioned are pretty straight forward
and the directions on the packages should be all you need.

Garden terms Moonraker United Kingdom 3 24-10-2011 03:09 PM
Japanese terms in bonsai (was: "yamadori") Pat Patterson Bonsai 0 21-09-2003 09:22 AM
[IBC] Craig & Andy-- Han Shan (Kanzan) & She De (Jittoku) [WAS: [IBC] Japanese terms in bons Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 17-09-2003 04:32 PM
[IBC] Japanese terms in bonsai (was: [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood) Craig Cowing Bonsai 0 16-09-2003 06:23 PM
[IBC] Japanese terms in bonsai (was: [IBC] "yamadori" boxwood) Andy Rutledge Bonsai 2 16-09-2003 06:22 PM