Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Cub Cadet 1527 Bearing Faliure

Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Lawn Tractor , have had this machine for about
three years and except for the deck rusting it hasn't been too bad a machine
, I was getting the mower ready to go and noticed rust around the double
pulley assembly on the mower deck , I took it apart and looks like the two
sets of ball bearings on the double pulley are dry and worn , they are loose
in the housing and have even worn the snap rings , wonder if anybody has had
a similar experience , looks like the unit should have tapered roller
bearings and grease , Cub has 125 hrs. total time , any thoughts would be
appreciated .
Thanks
Phil L.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

Phil wrote:
Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Lawn Tractor , have had this machine for about
three years and except for the deck rusting it hasn't been too bad a machine
, I was getting the mower ready to go and noticed rust around the double
pulley assembly on the mower deck , I took it apart and looks like the two
sets of ball bearings on the double pulley are dry and worn , they are loose
in the housing and have even worn the snap rings , wonder if anybody has had
a similar experience , looks like the unit should have tapered roller
bearings and grease , Cub has 125 hrs. total time , any thoughts would be
appreciated .
Thanks
Phil L.

That's a common failure but not at all unique to Cub. Many mfgs have
been back and forth between non-sealed grease-able and sealed
un-grease-able spindle bearings. The best is the grease-able except that
most people will only do once a year maintenance and that is just not
enough. So sadly, most have now opted for sealed bearings that can fail
after a few seasons. What usually kills them is a piece of string or
tough weed wraps around the spindle and works its way past the seal.
Once that happens the bearing is essentially ruined. The most economical
fix will probably be to buy a spindle assembly. Make sure the dust caps
are in good shape, that is the only real protection for the lower
bearing seal.

--
Art

WTB: cub cadet 1315 mower deck craig callinan Gardening 0 11-08-2004 11:11 PM
Cub Cadet vs Husqvarna self propelled mowers Tony Sivori Gardening 3 29-04-2004 05:08 PM
Cub Cadet push mower reliability? Greg S. Ragsdale Gardening 13 28-03-2004 03:29 PM
Cub Cadet at Lowes BRN Gardening 20 28-04-2003 08:44 PM
Front tine dethatcher for Cub Cadet 2166? Jeff Guay Lawns 1 13-04-2003 05:33 PM