Old 17-06-2007, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default cutting 6 acres

OK here it goes...

I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I
only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about
$3500

any suggestions? I live near Dallas TX
Old 20-06-2007, 05:14 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote in message
OK here it goes...

I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I
only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about
$3500

any suggestions? I live near Dallas TX

If its adequately fenced in, get some goats.
Dave

Old 20-06-2007, 11:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 04:14:42 GMT, "Dave"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
OK here it goes...

I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I
only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about
$3500

any suggestions? I live near Dallas TX

If its adequately fenced in, get some goats.
Dave

actually that's been suggested....gotta watch out for coyotes
though....
Old 02-07-2007, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
KW KW is offline

wrote in message
OK here it goes...

I have 6 acres to cut. Right now I have a 30" cutting deck mower so I
only do 2 acres...looking for an old tractor/brushhog combo for about
$3500

any suggestions? I live near Dallas TX

Depends on what effort you want to put in and results you are trying to get.
For the manicured lawn look (frequently mowed and kept relatively clean) I
would find a used commercial grade Z-turn mower. If you just want to whack
it down once a month or so, then a good used tractor and a brushcutter will
do (buy the largest and most heavy duty rig that you can afford).

Voice of personal experience. I have 4 acres and I started out with a nice
Kubota B1800 tractor and a 48" finish mower. My property is bordered on 3
sides by roads with the house sitting near the innermost corner (read pretty
much ALL front yard) so I want the lawn look. Because of the gearing of the
tractor and the 3pt mower adding to the overall turning radius along with
numerous trees and other obstacles, 2nd gear was as fast as I could go with
reasonably good results and cutting time averaged 9-10.5 hours. I picked up
a 1 year old Husky ZTH5221 (21 horsepower 52" cut) for $3K and now it takes
me less than an hour and a half to finish not to mention a cleaner cut and a
lot less trimming to boot!

KW

Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:13:33 -0400, "KW"
keith_warrennospamatallteldotnet wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

ah, excellent advice...thanks much!
Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
KW KW is offline

wrote in message
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:13:33 -0400, "KW"
keith_warrennospamatallteldotnet wrote:

[...]