Old 11-09-2007, 06:12 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default riding mower wheel help

i have a 1992 mtd 18HP riding mower with a flat back tire . i am going
to put a tub in the tire if i can get it off the mower . there is no
nuts or bolts just a coter pin and washer . igot them off NP but
ican't get the wheel to slide off . i have tryed hammering , heat ,
penatrating oil over night , even driving in curcals to see if it
would fall or pull its self off . if anyone has any ideas i would love
to hear them thank you . Mike

Old 11-09-2007, 11:14 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message ...
wrote:
i have a 1992 mtd 18HP riding mower with a flat back tire . i am going
to put a tub in the tire if i can get it off the mower . there is no
nuts or bolts just a coter pin and washer . igot them off NP but
ican't get the wheel to slide off . i have tryed hammering , heat ,
penatrating oil over night , even driving in curcals to see if it
would fall or pull its self off . if anyone has any ideas i would love
to hear them thank you . Mike

Be careful you don't pull the axle shaft out. It can happen. I know from
experience. You need a puller to get the wheel off. Check with a local
dealer or repair shop. They may be able to order it for you.

Something doesn't sound right. I don't remember ever having that much
trouble getting a wheel off - and I've done a few of them for salvage.

I had one similar to the one he is describing. I guess if you don't lube
the axle to tire shaft, it corrodes and is a bitch to remove. I tried
the hammer to the tire bit and the whole shaft came out of the drive
box. Took it to a local dealer/repair shop and he used a puller to
remove the wheels. He also rebuilt the drive box for me too--at more
than the mower was probably worth, I might add. Used it up till
last year when the engine finally shelled.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 9/11/2007 12:12 PM, wrote:
i have a 1992 mtd 18HP riding mower with a flat back tire . i am going
to put a tub in the tire if i can get it off the mower . there is no
nuts or bolts just a coter pin and washer . igot them off NP but
ican't get the wheel to slide off . i have tryed hammering , heat ,
penatrating oil over night , even driving in curcals to see if it
would fall or pull its self off . if anyone has any ideas i would love
to hear them thank you . Mike

Good luck. I've got the same problem 'cept I know why mine is seized.
The battery box let go and dropped the battery on the transaxle pulley.
The resultant spray of acid on the right side wheel (also on the brake
shaft and disc) and axle fused the wheel to the axle. Knowing what I
know now, I should have immediately pulled the wheel and brake disc and
cleaned and lubed both. I've tried both med and large gear pullers to
no avail - the wheel started deforming but still won't budge. Torch
then coolant spray, etc. I've got to get the wheel off before I can get
a puller on the brake disc.

I've come to the conclusion I gotta pull the (fairly new tire) off the
rim and carefully cut the wheel off with a 4 1/2 inch grinder. If I
can't get the brake disc off with a puller after this, it's find a used
transaxle time.

I had to put a new tire on that wheel while it was still on the mower
right after hurricane Rita. If I'd known (and not been in such a hurry)
I would have dealt with it then.

Again, good luck.

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Good judgment comes from experience,
and experience comes from bad judgment.
--Fred Brook
Old 12-09-2007, 12:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I used a harmonic balancer to get mine off,I just put 2 long bolts
through the holes in the wheel,screwed the remover against the center of
the axle,and it came right off.That's the way I removed both sides.I put
grease on the axle shafts,now I can pull them off by hand easy.
Bobby

Old 12-09-2007, 12:36 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:
wrote in message ...
wrote:
[...]

about 10 years ago both rear tires were in need of replacement on
my White GT1810 garden tractor. being unable to remove the wheels
from the axle I used lots of soap and four tire irons to remove the
tires from the wheels while the wheels were still on the axle. now
ten years later it's almost time to repeat that little operation.
Old 24-09-2007, 08:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 11, 1:12 pm, wrote:
i have a 1992 mtd 18HP riding mower with a flat back tire . i am going
to put a tub in the tire if i can get it off the mower . there is no
nuts or bolts just a coter pin and washer . igot them off NP but
ican't get the wheel to slide off . i have tryed hammering , heat ,
penatrating oil over night , even driving in curcals to see if it
would fall or pull its self off . if anyone has any ideas i would love
to hear them thank you . Mike

i got it i just toke the tire off and left the rim on the tracker and
pluged the tire . i did that couse i noticed the shaft getiing play in
it . thanks for all the help . Mike