Old 24-09-2007, 06:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Seed dead? Start over?

Planted some Tall Fescue this weekend. I have been watering it for the
last 3 days lightly, 3 times a day (or as needed) @ 10 minutes. My
wife come home today around noon to check on some things and she cut
the sprinklers on for me but unfortunately forgot they were on and let
the water run for ~30 minutes-flooding certain areas of the lawn.
Should I simply wait it out and see what happens or is it a safe bet
that the seed is too water-logged and is now dead? Should I rake the
straw off the entire area (~2000sq.ft) and start over with new seed?
Frustrating. Its too early to tell whether or not the flooding hurt
because no grass has sprouted yet. However, Im afraid that if I wait
too long itll be too late to plant more seed. Grrrrr!

Old 24-09-2007, 08:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 9/24/2007 12:40 PM, robv60 wrote:
Planted some Tall Fescue this weekend. I have been watering it for the
last 3 days lightly, 3 times a day (or as needed) @ 10 minutes. My
wife come home today around noon to check on some things and she cut
the sprinklers on for me but unfortunately forgot they were on and let
the water run for ~30 minutes-flooding certain areas of the lawn.
Should I simply wait it out and see what happens or is it a safe bet
that the seed is too water-logged and is now dead? Should I rake the
straw off the entire area (~2000sq.ft) and start over with new seed?
Frustrating. Its too early to tell whether or not the flooding hurt
because no grass has sprouted yet. However, Im afraid that if I wait
too long itll be too late to plant more seed. Grrrrr!

I'm probably the wrong one to answer this but whenever I've overwatered
seed at any one time the water has carried the seed off, leaving bare
spots and other places where it comes up like a Chia Pet. I would wait
till it starts sprouting, unless you can see the bare spots now. If so,
just broadcast those areas.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along to set me right.

--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

If all economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Old 24-09-2007, 11:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 24, 3:28 pm, xPosTech wrote:
On 9/24/2007 12:40 PM, robv60 wrote: Planted some Tall Fescue this weekend. I have been watering it for the
[...]

Well, this all happened between 12-1:00, as of 5:00 all the standing
water was soaked in and the ground is still moist. We also got a
decent rain yesterday afternoon sometime around 5:00 and it didnt need
to be watered until she watered it today, could probably have gone a
little longer. Anyway, it wont be watered again tonight and probably
not again until tomorrow at lunch. Hopefully all will be ok. Just have
to wait and see.

Old 25-09-2007, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"robv60" wrote in message
oups.com...
Planted some Tall Fescue this weekend. I have been watering it for the
last 3 days lightly, 3 times a day (or as needed) @ 10 minutes. My
wife come home today around noon to check on some things and she cut
the sprinklers on for me but unfortunately forgot they were on and let
the water run for ~30 minutes-flooding certain areas of the lawn.
Should I simply wait it out and see what happens or is it a safe bet
that the seed is too water-logged and is now dead? Should I rake the
straw off the entire area (~2000sq.ft) and start over with new seed?
Frustrating. Its too early to tell whether or not the flooding hurt
because no grass has sprouted yet. However, Im afraid that if I wait
too long itll be too late to plant more seed. Grrrrr!

You may have had areas of washout of seed. If the water isn't standing,
you're probably okay otherwise.

Dave

Old 25-09-2007, 12:51 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

robv60 wrote:
Planted some Tall Fescue this weekend. I have been watering it for the
last 3 days lightly, 3 times a day (or as needed) @ 10 minutes. My
wife come home today around noon to check on some things and she cut
the sprinklers on for me but unfortunately forgot they were on and let
the water run for ~30 minutes-flooding certain areas of the lawn.
Should I simply wait it out and see what happens or is it a safe bet
that the seed is too water-logged and is now dead? Should I rake the
straw off the entire area (~2000sq.ft) and start over with new seed?
Frustrating. Its too early to tell whether or not the flooding hurt
because no grass has sprouted yet. However, Im afraid that if I wait
too long itll be too late to plant more seed. Grrrrr!

You're probably all right as long as you didn't have any gullys washed
out. Did the straw wash away? If not, I'd wait for it to germinate and
see if you have any areas that don't fill in. Better yet, seed is
relatively cheap. 2000 sq ft. Piece of cake. Just spread some more and
you will be sure. You can't get too much seed.
If you have water that stands long enough to drown the seed, you have
drainage problems that need to be addressed.

Old 25-09-2007, 01:37 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 24, 7:51 pm, wrote:
robv60 wrote:
[...]

How long would water need to stand to kill the seeds? Also, I have red
GA clay soil, It has just been tilled twice, once in both directions
so Its somewhat "loose". Most of the time when I run my sprinklers (10
minutes) the soil gets good and wet but never muddy. I think its
draining ok but would need to have say, 2 15 minute waterings 30
minutes apart rather than one 30 minute watering. My wife said the
water was on for 35 minutes which caused the standing water. Absorbed
into the soil completely in about 3-4 hours. So, Im sure its not the
best drainage, nevertheless, not bad for the concrete they call soil
around here.

Old 25-09-2007, 01:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 24, 7:51 pm, wrote:
robv60 wrote:
[...]

Didnt notice any gullys washed out, the straw is mostly still intact,
a little thin in one area, but it was a little thin to begin with.
While I have you all here, How much area should an average bail of
straw cover? I cant help but to feel as though I may have it on a
little thick. Seems like the grass wouldnt be able to grow through it
or would get choked out.

Old 25-09-2007, 12:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 24, 8:52 pm, robv60 wrote:
On Sep 24, 7:51 pm, wrote:

robv60 wrote:
[...]

or would get choked out.- Hide quoted text -

Watering 30 mins instead of 10 isn't going to stop the seed from
germinating. It's always better to have some extra water than too
little. What do you think happens in nature when it rains for 4
days straight? When it's over, there is a hell of a lot more grass
and plant life growing than before. As someone already pointed out,
the only issue would be if the ground is uneven, sloped, etc and too
much water caused the seed to run off, pool, etc. One benefit of
using a slice seeder is that it helps minimize that problem.

The straw should provide only partial coverage. You want light to
easily get through and you should be able to partially see the ground
through it.

Old 25-09-2007, 09:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 25, 7:58 am, wrote:
On Sep 24, 8:52 pm, robv60 wrote:

On Sep 24, 7:51 pm, wrote:

robv60 wrote:
[...]

Cant tell if any ran off, but there were a couple spots that were a
little lower than the rest of the ground where the water did pool up
for a while. Think I will need to thin out the straw.