Old 19-10-2007, 04:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Can I transplant my fescue?

My front yard looks absolutely awesome with some very rich deep green
fescue. I had the sod laid a year and a half ago. Got it through the
amazingly hot summer and now it thrives. Can I take a few 6" squares
and put it in my back yard and repeat as the front yard fills back
in? Or am I just dreaming about a cheaper way to get this growing in
my back yard without buying the sod? If this will work, any pointers
on what I should do to help ensure success?

Thanks

Old 19-10-2007, 10:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 19, 11:20 am, wrote:
My front yard looks absolutely awesome with some very rich deep green
fescue. I had the sod laid a year and a half ago. Got it through the
amazingly hot summer and now it thrives. Can I take a few 6" squares
and put it in my back yard and repeat as the front yard fills back
in? Or am I just dreaming about a cheaper way to get this growing in
my back yard without buying the sod? If this will work, any pointers
on what I should do to help ensure success?

Thanks

Fescue is a clump type grass and will not spread like bluegrass or
zoysia will. The bare spots you'd make in the front will tend to
fill in over time from the remaining clumps around them growing
bigger. And the areas you transplant to the back would also grow
sligthly larger over time.

But no one in their right mind would do this to establish a lawn
because the method is not only faulty, but a huge amount of work. You
don't say where you are located, but at the appropriate time, rent a
slice seeder, buy an appropriate grass seed blend and seed it, which
is a lot lower cost than sod and can be done in a 1/2 day for a
typical lawn.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My front yard looks absolutely awesome with some very rich deep green
fescue. I had the sod laid a year and a half ago. Got it through the
amazingly hot summer and now it thrives. Can I take a few 6" squares
and put it in my back yard and repeat as the front yard fills back
in? Or am I just dreaming about a cheaper way to get this growing in
my back yard without buying the sod? If this will work, any pointers
on what I should do to help ensure success?

Thanks
It'll be a lot of hassle i think, visit the garden center
www.gardenguide-uk.co.uk - free gardening articles and resources