Old 29-11-2007, 09:42 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

Default My blue spruce has killed my lawn asked again.

On Nov 28, 2:02 am, GWB wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:44:28 GMT, wrote:

wrote in messagenews:GVl2j.197182$Xa3.129745@attbi_s22...
FireBrick wrote:
unfortunately, I can't 'mulch' the tree out to the fall line.
and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is
resistant to fir tree needles.
The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate, is there
a variety of real grass that will survive.

Please and thank you

What part of the world are you in? Why can't you mulch the tree? Is there
a reason why the tree is dropping so many needles and debris?
It would be very hard, if not impossible to get grass to grow under such a
tree. Mulch or rock is a great groundcover. Why not utilize it?
If I knew what part of the world you were in, I could maybe suggest a few
shade and acid tolerant groundcovers to consider.

FireBrick wrote:
Because of the placement of the tree, it was necessary to remove many of the
bottom branches so that people could walk on the public sidewalk.
And the sidewalk to the front of the house.
Unfortunate, but that was the way it had to go.
We live in the Chicago area.

Now ground covers are an option as you mentioned.
If we ran the decorative gravel all the way, we would have no grass at all
and the gravel would extend to the public sidewalk.
As my street is close to the public school, even small sized decorative
gravel would end up being kicked and strewn about.

I inherited this, and I'm looking for the most practical, and attractive way
to correct it.

As to why the tree shed needles, not sure other than inside branches always
seem to be outgrown, break and the twigs fall off with their needles.
I always say fir trees like this in the area. the smaller, older branches
near the trunk eventual give way to the fuller and growing branches at the
ends of each limb.

Thank you for you polite suggestions. I agree that 'ground covers' are
probably the best alternative.

I will place the other rude troll on the block list.

First, to toppost is rude. Second, In this case I would have the tree
removed and replaced with a more appropriate tree for the location.

Yeah, much better to have to scroll down through a long post to read
some etiquette lesson.- Hide quoted text -

If you use google, where the whole thread is sitting in front of you
at once, topposting works better. If you use a newsreader, where you
get one post every X days, then you might forget what's what, if you
ever knew, and it's easier to scroll down, although if you've gotten
used to long chain emails you learn to go in reverse.

The bigendians vs. the littleendians. Or the Sneeches if you prefer.
Or the Purple Drazi vs the Green Drazi.
Old 29-11-2007, 09:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Nov 28, 5:34 am, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

No. Much better to post replies inline, snipping content not relevant to
your reply. /All/ bottom-posted is just as bad as all top-posted.

Then you get accused of Fisking.
Old 29-11-2007, 09:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Nov 27, 8:48 pm, wrote:

Don't forget about the acid in the soil. These things won't help. And
you hurt the tree if you lower the acidity in the soil inside the drip

that's what I thought we were talking about. between the acid, the
shade, and the mulching, grass no likee. there must be some low ph
loving ground cover. Hell, I've got creeping charlie creeping all over
my lawn, I bet it'd grow there.

I would definitely imagine that whatever will grow there will not grow
quickly, however, under those conditions, so don't count on just
sprinkling a few seeds and letting it take over.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I love top posting.

I don't have to 'page down' to see the answer.

In my journeys thru pine forrests I usually see only very tall grass
surviving the pine needles. Often the ground is bare of any
vegetation other than fallen needles.

FireBrick wrote:
[...]

Please help! Weed killer has killed my grass! smiley783 Gardening 5 20-04-2011 03:08 PM
Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? Dave K. Gardening 1 09-05-2004 02:03 PM
colorado blue spruce...how to make bluer? Requester Gardening 2 06-05-2003 06:20 PM
Blue Spruce Lori Lawns 1 27-04-2003 12:44 PM
a choice between blue-spruce and pear tree growing together Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:24 PM