Old 18-11-2007, 11:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default My blue spruce has killed my lawn

I never thought my fir tree would get this tall and wide...in my lifetime.

I have a large ring of colored stone under the tree, but it's grown wider
than the ring.

So the needles have killed the lawn.

No way I'm cutting or pruning this tree back. Wife would prune
me...painfully.

So....is there a variety of grass that will survive even if the needles
fall.

I've always sucked the needles up with the mover, but can't get them all.

It's not a big area, so I guess resodding isn't a killer.
But hate to have to do it each spring.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://76.16.160.118:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Old 19-11-2007, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FireBrick said:

I never thought my fir tree would get this tall and wide...in my lifetime.

Is it a fir? Or, is it a Picea pungens?

I have a large ring of colored stone under the tree, but it's grown wider
than the ring.

Did you not expect the tree to grow? =)

So the needles have killed the lawn.

Is it losing an unusual amount of needles, compared to its history?

No way I'm cutting or pruning this tree back. Wife would prune
me...painfully.

As well, she should. =)

So....is there a variety of grass that will survive even if the needles
fall.

Why not just mulch the tree out to the dripline? That's really best for the
tree, anyway.

I've always sucked the needles up with the mover, but can't get them all.

Are you sure the tree doesn't have some sort of pest?

It's not a big area,

It's bigger than a "large ring of colored stone"!

so I guess resodding isn't a killer.

I thought the tree was the killer? This is all so confusing.

But hate to have to do it each spring.

And, most likely you will.

The lower branches of P. pungens drag the ground. Why would you want to try
and grow grass there? =) You hacked off the lower branches, didn't you.

--

Eggs

Could crop circles be the work of a cereal killer?
Old 25-11-2007, 09:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default My blue spruce has killed my lawn asked again.

unfortunately, I can't 'mulch' the tree out to the fall line.
and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is resistant
to fir tree needles.
The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate, is there a
variety of real grass that will survive.

Please and thank you

Old 25-11-2007, 09:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FireBrick wrote:
unfortunately, I can't 'mulch' the tree out to the fall line.
and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is resistant
to fir tree needles.
The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate, is there a
variety of real grass that will survive.

Please and thank you

What part of the world are you in? Why can't you mulch the tree? Is
there a reason why the tree is dropping so many needles and debris?
It would be very hard, if not impossible to get grass to grow under such
a tree. Mulch or rock is a great groundcover. Why not utilize it?
If I knew what part of the world you were in, I could maybe suggest a
few shade and acid tolerant groundcovers to consider.
Old 26-11-2007, 03:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[Top-posting fixed]

FireBrick said:

[...]

Why is that? It's best for the tree, the soil, and the sod that won't grow
there.

and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is resistant
to fir tree needles.

And, I'll ask again.... "is it a Abies or a Picea"?

The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

Then the "professionals" should be removed from the workforce. They
probably "top" trees, too.

Do you think that if the tree were allowed to grow as it /should/ (branched
to the ground), that the winds would be able to spread the debris from
underneath it? I'll give you a hint: Not nearly as much as it does since
you had the *cough* professionals **** it up. It was /your/ choice to ****
the tree up, now you've got to deal with the consequences. Like Newton
said, "For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction.".

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate,

Geez, you're a dense SOB. How the **** would it "not be appropriate"? It's
*most* appropriate. You're wanting to have two different plants compete for
air, water, and nutrients. Which do *you* think would win that battle, a
30' tree (with highly acidic debris), or 3" grass (which doesn't tolerate
highly acidic soils, well)?

is there a variety of real grass that will survive.

No. Now bugger off.

--

Eggs

A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Old 27-11-2007, 12:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Because of the placement of the tree, it was necessary to remove many of the
bottom branches so that people could walk on the public sidewalk.
And the sidewalk to the front of the house.
Unfortunate, but that was the way it had to go.
We live in the Chicago area.

Now ground covers are an option as you mentioned.
If we ran the decorative gravel all the way, we would have no grass at all
and the gravel would extend to the public sidewalk.
As my street is close to the public school, even small sized decorative
gravel would end up being kicked and strewn about.

I inherited this, and I'm looking for the most practical, and attractive way
to correct it.

As to why the tree shed needles, not sure other than inside branches always
seem to be outgrown, break and the twigs fall off with their needles.
I always say fir trees like this in the area. the smaller, older branches
near the trunk eventual give way to the fuller and growing branches at the
ends of each limb.

Thank you for you polite suggestions. I agree that 'ground covers' are
probably the best alternative.

I will place the other rude troll on the block list.

Old 27-11-2007, 04:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

FireBrick wrote:
[...]

First, to toppost is rude. Second, In this case I would have the tree
removed and replaced with a more appropriate tree for the location.
Old 27-11-2007, 07:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

why?

wrote in message news:MPX2j.217381$Fc.191908@attbi_s21...
First, to toppost is rude.

Old 27-11-2007, 07:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I'm not sure what 'toppost' means. I thought it meant using a date far in
advance, which I did not do.
Nor do I use foul language and act or reply rudely to others.

And the tree will remain. I don't remove trees just because they are
inconvenient.
I 'try' to find appropriate alternatives to problems.

Old 27-11-2007, 10:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[Top-posting fixed /again/ ]

wrote in message
> [...]

[...]

First, to toppost is rude. Second, In this case I would have the tree
removed and replaced with a more appropriate tree for the location.

I'm not sure what 'toppost' means. I thought it meant using a date far in
advance, which I did not do.

It means putting the your reply in front of what you're replying to.

Nor do I use foul language and act or reply rudely to others.

No, you're just dense about taking proper advice.

And the tree will remain. I don't remove trees just because they are
inconvenient.

It's not because it's 'inconvenient', dumbass. It's an inappropriate
species for the location.

I 'try' to find appropriate alternatives to problems.

No, you ask and ask until someone gives you the answer you want to hear.
You were given the most 'appropriate alternatives' ( mulch to the
dripline, or remove the tree and plant a more appropriate species for the
location).

You're quite the clueless twit, aren't you.
--

Eggs

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing in newsgroups?

Old 27-11-2007, 11:37 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 15:22:20 -0600, "FireBrick"
wrote:

unfortunately, I can't 'mulch' the tree out to the fall line.
and the other days high winds blew the needles much father than the drip
line. Much farther indeed.
It's a very dense tree and the needles and twigs build up. When the wind
blows, they tend to cover a lot of ground.

So I'll ask again...."Is there a variety of grass seed/sod that is resistant
to fir tree needles.
The tree is 30' plus, and we did have to have the bottom professionally
trimmed so that we and our neighbors could walk.

So...again, besides stone, mulch, that would not be appropriate, is there a
variety of real grass that will survive.

Please and thank you

no expert here but fwiw
and given the your criteria

you have to constantly keep the needles off the ground
aerate the soil
lay or plant grass
feed often

if the shade underneath is very dense, chances are nothing much will
actually do well.

if roots are close to the surface, not much will grow

hope it helps

Old 28-11-2007, 01:48 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

[...]

Don't forget about the acid in the soil. These things won't help. And
you hurt the tree if you lower the acidity in the soil inside the drip
line. Remove the tree and replace it with a more suitable tree for that
spot or just live with what you have. Sheesh. End of thread for me.
Old 28-11-2007, 07:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
GWB GWB is offline

FireBrick wrote:
[...]

Yeah, much better to have to scroll down through a long post to read
some etiquette lesson.
Old 29-11-2007, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

FireBrick wrote:
[...]

shade and acid tolerant groundcovers to consider.- Hide quoted text -

I'm thinking grass, no, but some kind of ground cover, yes.

Please help! Weed killer has killed my grass! smiley783 Gardening 5 20-04-2011 03:08 PM
Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? Dave K. Gardening 1 09-05-2004 02:03 PM
colorado blue spruce...how to make bluer? Requester Gardening 2 06-05-2003 06:20 PM
Blue Spruce Lori Lawns 1 27-04-2003 12:44 PM
a choice between blue-spruce and pear tree growing together Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 1 26-04-2003 01:24 PM