Old 23-11-2007, 04:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Bosco - the 4th

Felt a need to tell you - the 4th battery charger (from a yard sale) is a 10
amp, 6 or 12 volt. LOL

Old 23-11-2007, 11:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Srgnt Billko wrote:

Felt a need to tell you - the 4th battery charger (from a yard sale) is a 10
amp, 6 or 12 volt. LOL

I only got 1 battery charger. it is the only one I've ever had.
the thing has served me well now for just over 14 years. earlier
this month I left it connected to the combine and it got rained
on. must have shorted because the ground fault receptacle it was
plugged into tripped. after the charger dried out I plugged it back
in and it still works just fine. the unit has some good features.
you can either set it to be on until you remember to go and turn it
off or you can use the dial timer for a 12 hour charge. you can choose
a 2 or 10 amp charge or a .3 amp trickle charge. it also has a 50 amp
starter boost circuit. the meter allows me to see how weak the battery
is so I can get a good idea of how long to set the timer. the meter
also shows me if the alternator on the equipment is putting out. handy
that one is since all my tractors and combine only have a charging light
which is useless for telling me if the alternator is weak or dying.
Old 24-11-2007, 01:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
Srgnt Billko wrote:

[...]

Sounds good to me. I don't understand what the original poster is doing to
burn them out in a couple months. The only thing yours lacks for me is the
6 volt capability for my 1950's Farmalls and Massey Harrises.

Old 24-11-2007, 02:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Srgnt Billko wrote:

Jim wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:

[...]

the original setup on the John Deere 4020 was 2 six volt batteries.
the oem or after market batteries which would fit into the original
battery boxes were costing me 160 to 180 dollars a set and after
about 2 years they would not spin the motor fast enough to crank the
tractor. I got really tired of that after the 3rd set. so I found
a 1200 cca 12 volt, built myself an external battery box and bolted
it to a mainframe side rail. this 12 volt is in its 3rd year and
still doing a great job. the low temp for tonight is supposed to
drop to 27F so I think I'll give cranking the 4020 in the morning
a go just to see how strong that battery is after being cold tested.

as for the op and his troubles, maybe he is shopping at sears? g
Old 27-11-2007, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 21:50:14 -0500, Jim wrote:

Srgnt Billko wrote:

Jim wrote:
Srgnt Billko wrote:

[...]

ha, maybe if the next one is bought by someone else the deity "in
charge" might be faked out ...

fwiw I bought them at Wally World, Home De Pot, and Lowes

Merry Christmas

Ping Bosco Srgnt Billko Lawns 0 29-11-2007 12:26 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th - H A P P Y F O U R T H O F J U L Y!!! Diane Mancino Orchids 0 05-07-2003 01:44 AM
Other backyard project on the 4th - H A P P Y F O U R T H O F J profpam Orchids 0 04-07-2003 10:44 PM
4th of July Theo question Cass Roses 0 14-03-2003 03:44 PM
4th of July Venu Shelat Roses 3 14-03-2003 01:32 PM