Old 30-11-2007, 05:29 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Sears tractor keeps destroying pulleys

Hello

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley
that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is
attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star opening
on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged and begins
to saw away at the spindle destroying both within seconds. This
happens only on the left blade, never on the right. To replace the
pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so far in the two
years that I have owned time machine this happened 4 times! Can anyone
tell me what going wrong ?

John
Old 30-11-2007, 08:22 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 09:29:00 -0800 (PST), John
wrote:

Hello

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley
that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is
attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star opening
on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged and begins
to saw away at the spindle destroying both within seconds. This
happens only on the left blade, never on the right. To replace the
pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so far in the two
years that I have owned time machine this happened 4 times! Can anyone
tell me what going wrong ?

John

Steel is not just steel. Properly heat treating the correct type
of steel makes a huge difference in the longevity of a splined
connection.

Are your replacement parts aftermarket parts? Did Sears change their
supplier of parts? Can you swap left from right to troubleshoot this
possibility.
Old 30-11-2007, 11:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

tnom wrote:

John wrote:

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts .

[....]

think about it like this this. the piece of junk was built
by the low bidder who LOL every time they think of how they
did not have to put their name on that piece of crap they
sold sears.

[....]

Are your replacement parts aftermarket parts? Did Sears
change their supplier of parts?

new low bidder for lots of replacement parts.

--
sears - where girlie-guys wives take them to shop
Old 01-12-2007, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John wrote:
Hello

If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed.

Avoid hitting sticks with it if they are in the 10 inch range, eh Clark?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:25 AM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Sounds to me you are not getting the top nut tight enough ?

I know it's hard to tighten one with just hand tools. Take a short 2x4 and put it in the inside back of the deck then rotate the blade so it's pinned against it, This will keep the shaft from spinning while you come down on the nut.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt

Old 01-12-2007, 08:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On 01 Dec 2007 00:46:39 GMT, Steveo wrote:

John wrote:
Hello

If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed.

Avoid hitting sticks with it if they are in the 10 inch range, eh Clark?

True. He needs a ford tractor pulling a brush hog.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

John wrote:
Hello

If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed.

Avoid hitting sticks with it if they are in the 10 inch range, eh Clark?

True. He needs a ford tractor pulling a brush hog.

Don't encourage him.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:
John wrote:
Hello

If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed.

Avoid hitting sticks with it if they are in the 10 inch range, eh
Clark?

My Craftsman tractor has been great , well since they replaced it , which I
guess that means it has not been great but the replacement has been great.
Ya know since I can't bury my tree roots I've just been slicing them with
the Lawn Tractor, I think the tree's like it.

It is incredible what 3/4 of an inch in deck mower height can make.
(the killer 10" stick is an ornament on the Christmas tree this year)!

NOW on topic, the last time I saw a Sears Tech he told me the pulley
assembly's were not as good as say,
a 1965 Colt deluxe's, but only crazed nut jobs would want one of those ,
right Sarge?
Is there a way the OP could micky mouse the assembly so it would not strip
out??

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Old 03-12-2007, 12:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Broderick Crawford wrote:
John wrote:
Hello

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts . The pulley
that drives the left side blade keeps stripping. The pulley is
attached to it's shaft with a star connection. If I hit a root or
stick or for whatever season the blade is stopped the belt will keep
the pulley spinning and the connection is destroyed. The star opening
on the pulley gets every so slightly stripped and enlarged and begins
to saw away at the spindle destroying both within seconds. This
happens only on the left blade, never on the right. To replace the
pulley and spindle costs me about $60 each time. so far in the two
years that I have owned time machine this happened 4 times! Can
anyone tell me what going wrong ?

John

Sears is just about the cheapest crap you can buy.

I have a Sears tractor, I like it, I just have to watch for psycho killer
10" pine sticks of doom.
Some people also think I should be locked in a mental hospital, but they are
really the crazy ones!!!!

Clark...
--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Old 03-12-2007, 08:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Clark... wrote:
Broderick Crawford wrote:
John wrote:
[...]

Oh, and if they call you crazy one more time, you'll hunt them down and
kill them. :^)

Old 04-12-2007, 02:16 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Nov 30, 10:29 am, John wrote:
Hello

Maybe the nut on top is not tight enough that is what usually causes
that headache. I would have someone hold the bladse on bottom real
tight and take a torque wrench and sling it down to 50 psi that should
help

Old 04-12-2007, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Default entertaining shop tech talk

Auto Tech wrote:

[....]
take a torque wrench and sling it down to 50 psi that should

torque wrenches or pneumatic impact wrenches are driven by
sufficient force of air measured in 'psi' pounds/square inch
in order that they might do the work of tightening with a force
measured in foot pounds or inch pounds.

- hth -
Old 13-12-2007, 12:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
tnom wrote:

John wrote:

My Sears 1000 XLT tractor is driving absloulutely nuts .

[....]

think about it like this this. the piece of junk was built
by the low bidder who LOL every time they think of how they
did not have to put their name on that piece of crap they
sold sears.

[....]

Are your replacement parts aftermarket parts? Did Sears
change their supplier of parts?

new low bidder for lots of replacement parts.

--
sears - where girlie-guys wives take them to shop

Worked for Sears for 15 years before retiring. It was my experience that it
was the other way around. Suppliers hated (not really) Sears because they
required a better product than the supplier provided under it's own name.
Sears bought without manufacturer's warranty and thus was stuck with the
repair costs if the product didn't hold up. I doubt that Sears went for the
lowest bidder as they never had a problem with marking up any product. Of
course, with the current competition from the other big boxes, they may have
changed their ways.

Tom G.

Old 13-12-2007, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Tom G wrote:

Jim wrote:

[....]
[...]

sears the girlie-guy store with the [cheap crappy made] no
name junk for sale and that's always going to be the free
publicity sears gets from me.

Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 18-01-2006 10:28 PM
Sears Lawn Tractor: Kohler Engine: Runs then quits..... Fred Lawns 10 05-11-2005 07:13 AM
Sears ST/16 Garden Tractor Joe Lawns 3 04-03-2005 12:34 AM
Help - Need junk Sears lawn tractor Chuck Jurgens Lawns 8 23-05-2003 02:08 AM
Advice on Sears lawn tractor Mike Gardening 24 23-04-2003 09:32 PM