Old 13-02-2008, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default community garden question

Our church is starting toward a community garden. We'll have a 150'x75'
plot. Our garden is going to go in a big lawn.
We know we should either push off the grass or we'll be doing weeding later.

However, I'm wondering if there might be some kind of grass poison which
will not effect anything except the grass we could use?

Old 14-02-2008, 01:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Old 14-02-2008, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
Our church is starting toward a community garden. We'll have a 150'x75' plot.
Our garden is going to go in a big lawn.
We know we should either push off the grass or we'll be doing weeding later.

However, I'm wondering if there might be some kind of grass poison which will
not effect anything except the grass we could use?

Rent a sod cutter. It will evenly remove the sod, and with it, most of the weed
seeds that have collected over the years, waiting to sprout. You will end up
with a significantly more weed-free garden, and tilling will go much easier
also.

Old 16-02-2008, 01:06 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

On Feb 14, 1:44*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
"rb" wrote in message

Our church is starting toward a community garden. We'll have a 150'x75' plot.
Our garden is going to go in a big lawn.
We know we should either push off the grass or we'll be doing weeding later.

However, I'm wondering if there might be some kind of grass poison which will
not effect anything except the grass we could use?

Rent a sod cutter. It will evenly remove the sod, and with it, most of the weed
seeds that have collected over the years, waiting to sprout. You will end up
with a significantly more weed-free garden, and tilling will go much easier
also.

Right on! I put 5 flower beds in a turf area. Rented a sod cutter
for a half day, cut the sod, took it back, then came back & finished
the beds. Cut way down on the labor and had very little grass come
back in the beds.

Bob