Old 13-02-2008, 07:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
rb rb is offline

Default question for community garden on plows

Our church group is beginning a community garden of 150'x75'. I am a total
newbie on gardening stuff. I assume we'll be using neat rows of stuff for
planting. I'm trying to put together a package of least costly equipment.
We have a Sears GT-5000 garden tractor. Because of this, our most economical
choice would be to use it to pull eqpt. I also think it's best if we use
Sears because of warranty, deliverd right here, etc.

Would someone look at the two pages of Sears ground engaging equipment and
tell me what we need. It looks like maybe one or three plows we would need.
In addition, are there anything that Sears doesn't have we'll need?

If needed, I can get ground engaging equipment on Ebay, and then ship in a
big cost, or maybe go get .

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...or+Attachments

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...round+Engaging

Or, here's one other source that maybe we could use:

http://www.brinly.com/gardening-equi...s/PP-51BH.html

Old 14-02-2008, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/c_10153_1...n_Tractor+Atta...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...n_Tractor+Atta...

Or, here's one other source that maybe we could use:

http://www.brinly.com/gardening-equi...s/PP-51BH.html

For that size garden, I'd just rent a roto-tiller in the Spring.
Old 14-02-2008, 02:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
.. .
Our church group is beginning a community garden of 150'x75'. I am a total
newbie on gardening stuff. I assume we'll be using neat rows of stuff for
planting. I'm trying to put together a package of least costly equipment.
We have a Sears GT-5000 garden tractor. Because of this, our most
economical choice would be to use it to pull eqpt. I also think it's best
if we use Sears because of warranty, deliverd right here, etc.

Would someone look at the two pages of Sears ground engaging equipment and
tell me what we need. It looks like maybe one or three plows we would
need. In addition, are there anything that Sears doesn't have we'll need?

If needed, I can get ground engaging equipment on Ebay, and then ship in a
big cost, or maybe go get .

That Sears machine has a pot metal rear end. It won't stand up to much
"ground-engaging" equipment. It's not the power that's important - it's the
strength / makeup of the drive train. It probably doesn't weigh enough to
pull a mouldboard plow either. Especially if this is, as you say, a new
garden. This first time working a plot is rough. After it's been worked a
couple years it gets easier.

Old 14-02-2008, 07:48 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"rb" wrote in message
.. .
Our church group is beginning a community garden of 150'x75'. I am a total
newbie on gardening stuff. I assume we'll be using neat rows of stuff for
planting. I'm trying to put together a package of least costly equipment.
We have a Sears GT-5000 garden tractor. Because of this, our most economical
choice would be to use it to pull eqpt. I also think it's best if we use Sears
because of warranty, deliverd right here, etc.

Most community gardens I have heard about are maintained by the people that are
given plots to use. Some people will plant things that don't want to be tilled
from year to year. You might want to consider whether really need the equipment
on an on-going basis.

Old 16-02-2008, 01:15 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Feb 13, 1:46*pm, "rb" wrote:

Our church group is beginning a community garden of 150'x75'.

You might want to consider changing the name of your garden. Our group
established a community garden with the food going to a local area
food bank. People started helping themselves to food from the garden,
thinking that "community" meant free to anyone in the community.

KC

Old 16-02-2008, 04:29 AM
Registered User

I recently picked up a used Troy Bilt from a pawn shop. An old one from Garden Way. It works. A garden tractor will compact the soil from the weight. Just because someone offers something for free does not mean there aren't other inexpensive options. I paid $400 for the Troy Bilt. It was advertised on Craigs List, which I presume you don't have across the pond. A community garden. A garden for the whole community or for a few families? Chip into buying a rototiller that everyone can use no matter has big or small their individual lots since only one person will be able to use the impliments because they have the tractor and it can only be used in large areas. Novice's should think before jumping. If you are interested in raising some perennials flowers for color in the garden go to http://propagatingperennials.blogspot.com
Old 16-02-2008, 12:49 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

id hire it plowed and disc'd . and just buy a good tiller to keep it up
during the season.. maybe a pull behind tiller for your sears 5000.
lucas

Community Garden Question Jeff Thies Gardening 4 11-05-2010 05:48 PM
community garden question rb Lawns 3 16-02-2008 01:06 AM
Community Permaculture Garden in Barcelona Stefan Permaculture 1 01-03-2004 05:27 PM
The Garden Pond Community is back on line Gazman Ponds (alternative) 5 24-02-2003 02:52 PM
The Garden Pond Community is back on line Gazman Ponds 2 17-02-2003 03:55 PM