Old 18-04-2008, 05:43 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default watering cherry tree

How much should I water my brand new-to-me cherry tree? And when?

I just planted a Lapins Sweet Cherry from Miller Nurseries, and a week
from today, I have to go away for about 3 weeks.

I have a Nelson water timer that will turn the water on up to 3 times
a day, for the times I choose in one minute increments, up to 11:59
hours. I can choose the days of the week I water. (Up to 3 weeks I
think, but so far I've only been working on the first week. It only
has Su, M, Tu, W, Th, F, Sa, 2nd, 3rd, so I'm thinking it does the 2nd
and 3rd weeks like the first one, but I don't have the full
instructions anymore.)

I have a week to watch it and get it right. I live in Baltimore and
it will likely be in the 70's during the day during the time I'm gone.

As instructed, I filled the area around the newly planted tree with
water twice, and it was still damp then next day.

I have a metal ball with a bunch of holes in it, that I placed 2 or 3
feet uphill from the tree, in order to water the whole area. It is
uphill a little bit, a couple inches at 3 feet, but enough that the
water is sure to head towards the tree, and have time to spread out.

The soil seems to have a little clay but not much. I had an apple
tree growing there well for the last 20 years, until it got cedar
apple rust and died.

The default start time in the timer is 11 AM.

If I figure out how long the water should be on to keep the ground
moist ??, should I water at dawnshould i break that time into 2 or 3
segments during the day.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)
Old 18-04-2008, 02:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 18, 12:43*am, mm wrote:
[...]

If it were me, with those conditions, I'd water it 2 or 3 times a week
to deliver about 5 gallons of water each time. With a deep watering,
the soil will stay moist for 3 days at a time. Make sure the flow
rate is set so that the water stays in the area under the tree.
Old 18-04-2008, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 06:23:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Apr 18, 12:43*am, mm wrote:
[...]

Is there any particular time of day that is best for watering?

As to staying under the tree, I think this will be ok: I had made a
levee around the base of the tree, as instructed, but I crushed down
the 4 inches of the levee that faced uphill, and the water from the
hose filled it. And because of the slope (which I guess is more than
I said) half of the volume within the levee stayed full of water.)
Sounds ok?

Old 18-04-2008, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 18, 12:43*am, mm wrote:
[...]

If it were a lawn, then you'd want to do it during periods of low wind
and sun to avoid evaporation, which would translate into starting it
so it would finish by about 7am. For tree, there is no practical
difference, but you'd avoid some small amount of evaporation by doing
it similar to the above.

As to staying under the tree, I think this will be ok: *I had made a
levee around the base of the tree, as instructed, but I crushed down
the 4 inches of the levee that faced uphill, and the water from the
hose filled it. *And because of the slope (which I guess is more than
I said) half of the volume within the levee stayed full of water.)
Sounds ok?

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM *:-)- Hide quoted text -

Old 19-04-2008, 02:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 18, 12:43*am, mm wrote:
[...]

I think you have to let it dry out a little between waterings. I
would worry about root rot if you keep it constantly moist.
Old 19-04-2008, 04:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 18, 12:43 am, mm wrote:
[...]

*************************************8

And frequent waterings will encourage shallow roots. Water 1" once every 4-7
days. The deeper ground doesn't dry that fast.

Old 19-04-2008, 08:47 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 08:15:25 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

I just planted a Lapins Sweet Cherry from Miller Nurseries, and a week
from today, I have to go away for about 3 weeks.

I think you have to let it dry out a little between waterings. I
would worry about root rot if you keep it constantly moist.

*************************************8

And frequent waterings will encourage shallow roots. Water 1" once every 4-7
days. The deeper ground doesn't dry that fast.

Even with a brand new tree, 3 to 4 feet, planted only 5 days ago,
whose roots go only about 14 inches below the surface?

Old 20-04-2008, 09:28 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:

I just planted a Lapins Sweet Cherry from Miller Nurseries, and a week
from today, I have to go away for about 3 weeks.

I think you have to let it dry out a little between waterings. I
would worry about root rot if you keep it constantly moist.

And frequent waterings will encourage shallow roots. Water 1" once every 4-7
days. The deeper ground doesn't dry that fast.

Even with a brand new tree, 3 to 4 feet, planted only 5 days ago,
whose roots go only about 14 inches below the surface?

14" down won't dry out that fast.

You don't want to rot the roots.