Old 02-06-2008, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Tomato Planting

We live in an area with a long growing season our last frost in late April &
first frost in November. We planted a portion of our garden right before
the heavy spring rains hit nad they drowned the garden seeds. The soil is
only recently been dry enough to work and plant again. I have only tomato
seeds and cannot at this time buy tomato plants to get a jumpstart. Is it
too late to plant the tomato seeds? If I do plant them, what precautions
should I take to help the plants grow well. We have to grow organically due
to health reasons so non-organic products (i.e. fertilizers) cannot be used.

Thanks in advance,
Joe & Paula Jones

--
http://joneshomestead.tripod.com
Life is fragile

My wife and I has a Yahoo Group called, "Jones Family Homestead" and we
would like to invite you to our group. If you would like to learn more
about our group and join then go to

Do you need a free e-mail account? My wife and I can provide you with a
free web-based e-mail account. You can learn more about our e-mail service
and sign up by going to http://joneshomestead.tripod.com//id18.html

Old 02-06-2008, 10:09 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Oklahoma Tomcat wrote:
We live in an area with a long growing season our last frost in late
April & first frost in November. We planted a portion of our garden
right before the heavy spring rains hit nad they drowned the garden
seeds. The soil is only recently been dry enough to work and plant
again. I have only tomato seeds and cannot at this time buy tomato
plants to get a jumpstart. Is it too late to plant the tomato seeds?
If I do plant them, what precautions should I take to help the plants
grow well. We have to grow organically due to health reasons so
non-organic products (i.e. fertilizers) cannot be used.
Thanks in advance,
Joe & Paula Jones

I got some good ideas from this site:
http://www.tomatobob.com/
--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Old 04-06-2008, 01:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Oklahoma Tomcat blurted out in alt.home.lawn.garden:

We live in an area with a long growing season our last frost in late
April & first frost in November. We planted a portion of our garden
right before the heavy spring rains hit nad they drowned the garden
seeds. The soil is only recently been dry enough to work and plant
again. I have only tomato seeds and cannot at this time buy tomato
plants to get a jumpstart. Is it too late to plant the tomato seeds?
If I do plant them, what precautions should I take to help the plants
grow well. We have to grow organically due to health reasons so
non-organic products (i.e. fertilizers) cannot be used.

Thanks in advance,
Joe & Paula Jones

Why not go to a local greenhouse or lawn center and get 1or2 already started.
I picked up two Bonnie plants recently for $7 (hybrid Bigger Boy's)

Old 06-06-2008, 07:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
EXT EXT is offline

In most areas tomatoes are not planted directly into the soil as seeds. They
need to be started indoors in order to give them long enough time to mature
and fruit. Tomato seeds are relatively expensive for many varieties which
would make it hard to plant individual seeds spaced apart properly to grow,
unlike some small plants where you put lots of cheap seeds in the soil and
weed out the surplus.