Old 13-06-2008, 12:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Mushrooms or toad stools

How do I rid myself of a garden of toad stools that have sprun up over a
tree removed three years ago. The stump was cut down but there is still
wood remaining 6" to 12" under the lawn. I have tried putting crystal lime
down but that has not worked. What chemicals can I use do get rid of these
pesty, ugly mushrooms.

Old 13-06-2008, 02:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Art Art is offline

oldtee wrote:
How do I rid myself of a garden of toad stools that have sprun up over a
tree removed three years ago. The stump was cut down but there is still
wood remaining 6" to 12" under the lawn. I have tried putting crystal lime
down but that has not worked. What chemicals can I use do get rid of these
pesty, ugly mushrooms.

Gasoline will get rid of them. If you can afford it...

--
Art
Old 13-06-2008, 04:03 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Art wrote:
oldtee wrote:
How do I rid myself of a garden of toad stools that have sprun up over
a tree removed three years ago. The stump was cut down but there is
still wood remaining 6" to 12" under the lawn. I have tried putting
crystal lime down but that has not worked. What chemicals can I use
do get rid of these pesty, ugly mushrooms.

Gasoline will get rid of them. If you can afford it...

put the gas in the lawnmower and run over them.
Old 13-06-2008, 06:34 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Can we do better than poison the grass and the toadstools or run over em and
spread the spores to hell and back. By putting lime on them I thought I was
changing the ph of the soil. Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction and
instead of hand fulls of lime pellets I should fertilize them. I am a
novice and I appreciate the responses, but they are not getting me where I
want to go.

Old 13-06-2008, 08:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[top-posting fixed]

oldtee said:

"Joe" wrote in message
Art wrote:
oldtee wrote:
How do I rid myself of a garden of toad stools that have sprun up over a
tree removed three years ago. The stump was cut down but there is still
wood remaining 6" to 12" under the lawn. I have tried putting crystal
lime down but that has not worked. What chemicals can I use do get rid
of these pesty, ugly mushrooms.

Gasoline will get rid of them. If you can afford it...

put the gas in the lawnmower and run over them.

Can we do better than poison the grass and the toadstools or run over em and
spread the spores to hell and back. By putting lime on them I thought I was
changing the ph of the soil. Maybe I'm going in the wrong direction and
instead of hand fulls of lime pellets I should fertilize them. I am a
novice and I appreciate the responses, but they are not getting me where I
want to go.

There's no chemical you can purchase, that can kill them. Most of the
fungus is under the ground, feeding on the stump that wasn't removed. If
you want them them gone, pick them and throw them away, or dig up the
remaining root structure.

It's quite that simple.
--

Eggs

-A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.

Old 17-06-2008, 05:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
z z is offline

On Jun 13, 3:41*pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:
[top-posting fixed]

oldtee said:

"Joe" wrote in message
.. .
Art wrote:
oldtee wrote:
[...]

-A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.- Hide quoted text -

exactly.

what you've got there is a massive chunk of fungus feeding on a dead
underground stump, which is sending up fruiting bodies now and then.
and anything that would kill it and keep it dead would involve long-
term sterilizing all the soil above, like saturating the whole volume
with salt or such.
Old 22-06-2008, 03:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

oldtee said:

"Joe" wrote in message

Art wrote:

oldtee wrote:

[...]

Where I live, they usually show up after prolonged heavy rains (like we
had here the other day), at least mine do. Most other times they are
nowhere to be seen. I get the normal umbrella looking type and
sometimes, the pufferball type, that look like baseballs.
I have a couple of stumps that show the fungi all along the path of the
underground rotting roots (it's a good way to locate the hidden root
stumps). If you dug up that root, you may find a more harmful pest.
Loads of Grubs eating the root. I suppose all those Grubs would attract
Moles, as well.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Ideas for cheap bar height table and stools? [email protected] Lawns 0 15-04-2006 08:32 PM
The first toad. BOO HOO!!!!!!! jammer Ponds 17 12-04-2003 07:32 AM
Toad Beak 21 Ponds (alternative) 1 26-03-2003 08:32 PM
Frog, toad and newt spawn Annabel United Kingdom 9 08-03-2003 05:45 PM
to "Toad" Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 04-02-2003 01:19 AM